The Market Manager will be primarily responsible for selling The Talking Farm’s locally-grown produce at farmers’ markets in Evanston and Northern Chicago, designing and setting up the farm stand, interacting with customers at the markets and answering questions, as well as taking responsibility for accepting payment (both cash and credit) and keeping records of inventory and sales at the market. The Market Manager is a seasonal, part-time, hourly position requiring approximately 20 hours/week for 28 weeks between May-November. Weekends required, as well as 1-2 evenings per week.
• Principal staffer responsible for the marketing and sale of The Talking Farm produce harvested at Howard Street Farm for direct-to-consumer purchase at local farmers markets.
• Coordinate and staff 2-3 farmers markets per week for 28 weeks
• Set-up and break-down of farm stand; transport product to markets in cargo van
• Organize product display and signage for the farm stand and market table
• Oversee and handle sales transactions and customer relations
• Prepare for markets by coordinating with the Director of Farm Operations on produce and inventory available for market and curate selection available for sale
• Accurately track and report market sales and inventory using Excel and our online commerce platform (currently Shopify)
• Meet sales metrics set by the organization
• Supervise and train interns as assistant market hands at the farmers markets
• Work with the Director of Farm Operations in creating yearly and seasonal market plan, including cultivating relationships with market management personnel; completing and submitting annual market applications; and completion of market participation requirements.
• Assist with the sale of seedlings, as necessary, during annual May Seedling Sale fundraiser.
• Experience with sales at farmers markets or similar environments a plus
• Current Driver’s License and ability to drive a cargo van
• Knowledge of vegetables, fruits and herbs and ability to answer questions about fresh produce
• Must be proficient with Excel spreadsheets and online commerce platforms such as Shopify and/or willing to train and learn how to track produce inventory and sales in spreadsheets and online commerce platforms
• Understanding of and experience with generally accepted cash-handling practices and in-person credit card sales
• Strong customer service and communication skills to interact positively with market customers and represent the best interests of the organization.
• Physical requirements: Ability to lift up to 30 pounds; bend and crouch; walk on uneven surfaces, use hands and arms to pick/pull/grasp; see at close range, as well as at a distance; hear and speak to communicate with customers and staff; and work outdoors in all types of weather.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org