Field and Harvest Crew Position Available at Valley Flora
Valley Flora Farm is seeking one to two hard-working, motivated individuals to join our team for the 2022 farm season from April to mid-October, with potential for a longer-term position at the farm. We are a thriving, highly-diversified fresh market farm located in Langlois, Oregon that has been selling vegetables, berries, flowers and orchard fruit to local markets on the southern Oregon coast since 1998. We are a multi-generational, women-owned business and we farm using organic practices exclusively. You can learn more about the farm at www.valleyflorafarm.com.
New members of our team will be an integral part of our farm operation and will be key players in the following:
• Weekly harvests for our 125-member CSA, farmstand, and our restaurant and store (direct sale) accounts;
• Wash, processing and packout of produce for CSA, farmstand and direct sale orders;
• Weekly fieldwork, including, but not limited to: transplanting, trellising, mowing, weed control, pest management, irrigation and plant care.
• Delivery of produce to our various direct sale customers and CSA pickup sites.
• Responsibilities might also include: assisting with propagation and greenhouse work; assisting with our u-pick and/or farmstand.
Hours: Average 30-40 hours/week, 4-5 days/week, depending on seasonal work flow.
Compensation: Starting wage $12.50/hr to $14/hr, DOE, with opportunities for performance-based raises. All employees receive a weekly share of farm produce throughout the season.
Our farm operates with a very lean, efficient crew so a successful applicant will:
• Have a keen awareness of efficiency in their work, i.e. know how to hustle & be good at working under time pressure.
• Have a positive attitude, even when the going gets tough. Maintain a good outlook under occasionally uncomfortable working conditions and long hours, and enjoy working outside in heat, cold, rain, mud, and dust. A sense of humor helps!
• Be constantly striving to achieve quality, consistency and speed in their work.
• Have a history of doing physical work/manual labor, ideally with experience on a farm. Be in strong physical condition and able to repeatedly squat, bend, lift and carry 40-50 pounds.
• Avoid drama in the workplace and resolve conflict using effective, nonviolent communication in a mature manner.
• Openly receive constructive criticism and feedback on the job and make changes to work habits accordingly.
• Listen well to instructions and carry out tasks as directed.
• Show creative problem solving skills
• Be organized, reliable, honest and conscientious.
No formal degree required, however we do require prior experience doing physical/manual work, for instance in farming, landscaping, construction, commercial fishing, firefighting, etc
To Apply: Send a cover letter explaining your interest in working for Valley Flora, describing any prior relevant work experience you have and the skill set you would bring to this job. Include a current resume and 3 work-related references. Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 20th, 2022. We look forward to hearing from you!