Field Operator will be responsible for all field work: planting, cultivating (weed management), fertility management, cover crops, maintenance (mowing and equipment), and irrigation.
This position has potential to be long term for the right person to transition into ownership. We are also offering the potential for this position to be part of the Wisconsin Organic Farm Manager Apprenticeship if more skills and competencies need to be met. We are seeking creative ways in which to transition the farm for the right person(s).
Turtle Creek Gardens (TCG) is a certified organic vegetable operation which markets through CSA, direct to stores and restaurants, an online farm store, and farmer’s market. We are a well-established farm with sound established markets. Located in Delavan, WI, TCG is a 100-acre diversified farm. Twenty acres are devoted to vegetable production and the remainder is for grazing. Currently, we work with our neighbor who manages some of our cattle with his herd in return for fertility we use on the farm.
Hours and Compensation
40 hours/week from April 1-November 15
Payrate: $15/hour-$18/hour with experience; following probation period year-round salary will be negotiable. Eager trainee $12/hour with a probation period and participation in the Wisconsin Organic Vegetable Farming Apprentice Program.
• Preparing fields for planting and transplanting
• Cultivating for weed control
• Preparing for plastic culture crops; laying plastic, drip, maintaining aisles
• Monitoring and spraying crops for insect and disease prevention
• Leading weeding crews
• Irrigation set up and monitoring
• Soil testing and fertility amendments
• Compost turning and application
• Planting and maintaining annual and perennial cover crops
• Maintaining records for Organic Certification requirements
• Maintaining and recording Turtle Creek records as related to field work
• General equipment maintenance
• Assisting in other farm tasks as needed
Field Operator works with General Manager and Team Leads to ensure timely execution of plan.
The perfect candidate will be passionate about organic vegetable farming and excited to work with a team of other high functioning experienced farmers. Additional requirements:
• Ability to lift 50 pounds
• Mechanical aptitude
• Ability to recognize plant health and needs of the farm.
• Attentive to the care of equipment and all life on the farm.
• Communication skills
• Organizational skills
• Team player
Farming can often be stressful due to weather conditions, strenuous work, and reaching daily and weekly goals. We depend on our workers to be patient, thoughtful, flexible, and diligent in their ability to stay focused to meet the needs of the farm and meet the changes in workflow that can occur quite often. We encourage our employees to problem solve and take initiative when needed. Our model strives to be team driven rather than a top-down traditional model with key employees in lead positions.
Please contact: Farm Manager Janet Gamble janetmariegamble(at)gmail.com with cover letter and 3 references (at least one related to farming)