We are seeking a driven self starter to manage all aspects of the farm's cut flower production. We farm 5 acres of high quality, organic cut flowers for six farmers markets, CSA, wholesale accounts, and special events.
Blue House Farm grows on sixty acres in two small agricultural valleys near Pescadero, California. We grow a diverse variety of certified organic vegetables, fruits and cut flowers year-round. Now in our thirteenth growing year, we supply our farmers' markets, CSA, and wholesale accounts with the highest quality produce available.
This is a year-round salaried position. Salary includes on-site housing, health insurance, food from the farm, and one month of paid vacation.
Flower-specific responsibilities include:
• Manage all aspects of the farm’s flower production on four acres. Ensure a steady supply of a variety of marketable flowers from February through November
• Manage up to 5 flower team staff including at least one Spanish speaking team member
• Harvest flowers up to 30 hours per week at the height of the season
• Organize a bouquet-making process that practices efficiency, while maintaining high quality, beautiful bouquets for markets, CSA, and wholesale orders
• Arrange flower bouquets
• Trellis and stake beds, irrigate, fertilize, plant, and hoe as needed
• Coordinate tractor work and irrigation with field/tractor manager or harvest crew leader
• Maintain and improve crop plan, sowing schedules, seed orders, and inventory
• Complete greenhouse and field flower sowing, manage timely planting and weeding
• Keep work areas clean and organized
• Grow wholesale accounts, with an emphasis on good communication and consistent supply of quality product
• Communicate weekly availability list to all wholesale accounts
• Conduct varietal research and trialing
In addition, all staff contributes to the following responsibilities:
• Vending at one farmers market per week, which includes driving a box truck, customer service, detailed record-keeping, attention to detail and repetitive heavy lifting
• General farm work and participation in projects as needed
Applicant needs to have a minimum of 2 years experience on a production farm, cut-flower growing experience, and strong floral design skills. The ability to speak basic, conversational Spanish is strongly desired. Applicant is willing to make a two-year minimum commitment.
The work requires the physical and mental capacity to contribute daily to an often rigorous, fast-paced, and deeply rewarding agricultural practice. Staff work 30-40 hours/week from January through March and 50+ hours/week from April through December.
Applicant should be self-motivated, hard working, eager to learn, have excellent people skills, great multi-tasker, and be in good physical condition. Ability to perform certain tasks such as heavy lifting (over 50#), repetitive grasping, standing, bending, and walking (No applicant will be rejected because of a condition or impairment that, with reasonable accommodation, does not prevent performance of work.)
If you are interested in working at Blue House Farm, please send a resume and cover letter with the following information:
1. Position you are applying for
2. Relevant past work experience, including specific responsibilities and duties, especially related to the position you are applying for
3. Your goals relating to agriculture
4. Spanish language ability
5. Other related skills (ie: carpentry, cooking, writing, tractor driving, plumbing, retail sales, computers, delivery truck driving, etc...)
6. 2 references
Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org. If your qualifications match what we're looking for, we will contact you to schedule a phone or on-farm (preferred) interview. If you have additional questions, feel free to contact us.