We are seeking several Flower Production Assistants to work closely with the Flower Manager and other flower team members to produce 5 acres of high quality, organic cut flowers for six farmers markets, CSA, wholesale accounts, and special events.
Blue House Farm grows on sixty acres in two small agricultural valleys near Pescadero, California. We grow a diverse variety of certified organic vegetables, fruits and cut flowers year-round. Now in our thirteenth growing year, we supply our farmers' markets, CSA, and wholesale accounts with the highest quality produce available.
This is an hourly position, pay based on experience. This position is seasonal (April-November) with the potential to become year-round.
• Assist with the farm’s flower production on five acres, supplying a variety of marketable flowers from April through November
• Harvest flowers up to 20-35 hours per week at the height of the season
• Arrange flower bouquets
• Trellis and stake beds, irrigate, fertilize, plant, and hoe as needed
• Assist with greenhouse sowings and field plantings
• Supervised and works closely with Flower Manager and farm owner
Secondary responsibilities could include the following:
• Vending at farmers markets, which includes driving a box truck, customer service, record-keeping, attention to detail and repetitive heavy lifting
• General farm work and participation in projects as needed
• Minimum of one year experience on a production farm
• Cut-flower growing experience preferred
• Strong floral design skills desired
• Ability to speak basic, conversational Spanish is desired
The work requires the physical and mental capacity to contribute daily to an often rigorous, fast-paced, and deeply rewarding agricultural practice. Applicant should be self-motivated, hard working, eager to learn, have excellent people skills, great multi-tasker, and be in good physical condition. Ability to perform certain tasks such as heavy lifting (over 50#), repetitive grasping, standing, bending, and walking (No applicant will be rejected because of a condition or impairment that, with reasonable accommodation, does not prevent performance of work.)
If you are interested in working at Blue House Farm, please send a resume and cover letter with the following information:
1. Position you are applying for
2. Relevant past work experience, including specific responsibilities and duties, especially related to the position you are applying for
3. Your goals relating to agriculture
4. Spanish language ability
5. Other related skills (ie: carpentry, cooking, writing, tractor driving, plumbing, retail sales, computers, delivery truck driving, etc...)
6. 2 references
Send to: email@example.com. If your qualifications match what we're looking for, we will contact you to schedule a phone or on-farm (preferred) interview. If you have additional questions, feel free to contact us.