In partnership with project stakeholders, the Food Hub Manager position will provide strategic leadership, development and management of all aspects of the Food Hub’s core operations, including the aggregation and distribution of local produce and value-added products to institutional buyers and the management of onsite light processing of fruits and vegetables. This individual will be an employee of The Abundant Table, and this hands-on position will report to and work with the Executive Director and supervise 2-3 Food Hub staff members. It is anticipated that this position would begin as early as February 2018.
This is a new position at The Abundant Table (TAT) and in partnership with a developing farmer’s collaborative at McGrath Family Farm. The successful candidate should have the ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, anticipate issues and develop solutions. The Food Hub Manager will be required to work closely with a wide variety of individuals and organizations, including regional farmers and buyers, academic institutions, regulatory agencies and various other project partners. The successful candidate must have a sincere interest in and vision for promoting agriculture as a viable economic sector and supporting the development of a regional food system.
• 30-40 hours/week
• Range: $40,000 to $46,000 annual compensation (depending on experience)
• 3 weeks vacation, plus paid holidays
• Health insurance benefits through Kaiser Permanente
• Weekly CSA share
• Professional and personal development opportunities
The primary functions of the Food Hub Manager are as follows (some of these tasks will be shared with Sales and Marketing Manager):
• Guides and directs management of all aspects of the Food Hub’s (including Roadside Farm Store) daily operations ensuring efficient and effective use of Food Hub resources and optimal service to project partners. Develops and implements procedures to promote appropriate communication and information sharing;
• Supervises/partners with Food Hub staff (Sales and Marketing Managers and Processing/Delivery Associate). Promotes a culture of integration and coordination among staff. Ensures that the responsibilities and accountability of staff members are defined and understood and coaches staff in areas requiring improvement;
• Establishes and implements operating policies consistent with best practices;
• In partnership with staff, measures and evaluates the results of Food Hub operations and regularly reports these results to the project leadership team. Recommends changes as necessary to improve operations;
• Develops and manages supply, processing, storage and aggregation of whole and lightly processed goods;
• Work with other staff to build and maintain relationships with producers, provide feedback and continually improve product quality;
• Oversee development and/or expansion of processing facility, cold storage and other necessary infrastructure;
• Ensure compliance with food safety policies and maintain up-to-date licenses and inspections;
• Support production planning by gathering demand information, developing agreements with producers, and advising TAT/McGrath Cooperative farms on product mix;
• Identify and implement online marketplace software and other digital tools as needed;
• Coordinate with supply chain partners, service providers, and other food and farm partners to build strong, productive partnerships;
• Develop sales targets with Sales and Marketing managers and lead other staff in ongoing self-evaluation progress;
• Lead the development of annual Food Hub business plans and budgets;
• Monitors relevant news and developments in the sector;
• Occasional evening or weekend hours for meetings;
• Some local and regional travel required for meetings;
• Other duties as assigned by the TAT Executive Director.
• Knowledge of and/or experience starting up and managing a business or social enterprise related to agriculture and food systems;
• Self-directed individual with the ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, as well as collaborate with others in a team setting;
• Outstanding leadership ability and communication skills;
• Fluent Spanish and English language skills (required);
• Strong attention to detail;
• Ability to work under pressure, manage competing priorities, and solve problems;
• Proactive, entrepreneurial attitude and eagerness to identify new opportunities for Food Hub growth;
• Proficiency with basic software and technology including MS Word, Excel, Google Drive, Google Sheets;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and customer service skills;
• Experience with communicating with a diverse group of individuals including farmers and food buyers;
• Must excel at record keeping and data management;
• Some background working in either food production, processing, aggregation, or distribution;
• Deep passion and commitment to connecting both marginalized and privileged communities to sustainable agriculture;
• Commitment to Racial Justice and Anti-Oppression work;
• Physically able to drive, bend, stand, walk, and pull for long periods of time and lift-up to 50lbs repeatedly.
• Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial business environment, which includes knowledge of and comfort with business development, strategic thinking, and business management principles;
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents including financial reports and legal documents;
• Experience with applying for and managing grants;
• Familiarity and experience with certified natural or organic growing practices and GHP/GAP;
• Experience with and passion for community and personal development.
Required licenses, certifications and education:
• Bachelor’s degree
• Driver’s license
Preferred licenses, certifications and education:
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in agriculture, business, environmental science, or related field.
Send a cover letter, which includes where you heard about this position, in the body of the email and attach your resume in a PDF version to email@example.com by January 15th (after that, we will accept applications on first come rolling basis). Make sure resume includes at least three references with their contact information. The subject line of the application email should read, Food Hub Manager – (Your Name). No phone calls please. Please follow these instructions to ensure that we process your application.
The Abundant Table (www.theabundanttable.org) is a 501c3 nonprofit organization rooted in The Episcopal Church. The Abundant Table’s mission is to change lives and food systems by creating sustainable relationships to the land and the local community.
Applicants only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
The Abundant Table is committed to providing equal opportunity employment opportunities to candidates and employees without regard to race, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, or national origin citizenship. The Abundant Table encourages women and people of color to apply for employment opportunities.