Title: Food Love Farm Director
Reports to: Farm to School Director
Job status: Full time starting Feb. 1, 2018
Location: 16200 Lake Vera Rd. and 313 Railroad Ave. Suite 201, Nevada City, CA 95959
About Sierra Harvest
Sierra Harvest is a nonprofit dedicated to educating, inspiring and connecting the people of Nevada County to fresh, local, seasonal food. We train dozens of farmers, organize hundreds of community events, and educate over 7,600 school children. We envision a thriving local food economy and a network of financially viable farms providing good food for the community, where health and wellness is the norm and people of all ages are engaged in growing, harvesting, preparing, and sharing fresh food. We are creating a place where farmers thrive and residents of all ages have access to nutritious, whole food.
About the Food Love Farm
Started as part of the living Lands Agrarian Network in 2010, the Food Love Farm (FLF) is a half-acre educational farm at the Bear Yuba Land Trust’s Burton Homestead. Specializing in growing a diversity of crops, the FLF provides hands on education to our community in the form of field trips, volunteer days, service projects, summer day camp and U-pick vegetables.
Summary of Position
The program director manages daily activities of the Food Love Farm including supervising educators and farmhands, managing the greenhouse, growing starts for sale, food production for U-pick, coordinating field trips and planning lessons, planning and conducting summer day camp, and supervising and tracking volunteers for work days and field trips
Full time, heavier workload during farming season, can take Dec. off.
Must work some nights/weekends when needed.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience.
1. Manages Farm Production:
• Plans and oversees all farm systems, materials and supplies
• Plans and oversees all food production, including Upicks. Works in partnership with Farm Educators to see that food production goals are met
• Manages CCOF certification and record keeping, and county agriculture paperwork
• Coordinates and tracks all food sales
• Creates and manages program budget
• Identifies needs for further site development
• Oversees volunteers and staff on the farm (for farm work and education)
2. Leads Educational Program:
• Develops, coordinates and conducts educational programming, including: field trips, 2 weeks of summer day camp, service projects, in-school farmer visits and classes for visiting groups.
• Keeps records on educational programs
• Tracks activities in volunteer log and garden journal
• Hires, manages and mentors Farm Educators
• Creates partnerships with schools and other relevant organizations
3. Promotes Community Engagement:
• Promotes and represents FLF in the community, including hosting Sierra Harvest potlucks, Good Food Tours and donor events as requested
• Cultivates business and community sponsors
• Attends staff meetings, trainings, and SH events
• Manages and recruits volunteers
Skills and Qualifications:
• At least 3 years of organic farming experience with at least 1 year of farm management experience
• 3 years of experience managing staff and volunteers
• Enthusiasm for, and a track record of educating children about growing and consuming local food, preferably on farm settings
• Ability to communicate efficiently and effectively, verbally and written
• Can work outside and adapt to variable weather conditions
• Can lift equipment and materials necessary to complete farm tasks and activities
• Must have a strong alignment with the mission of Sierra Harvest and the ability to communicate, motivate and inspire others about Sierra Harvest’s work with passion.
• Familiarity with trends in food access, health, nutrition, education, and agriculture
• Basic computer skills required such as email, Word, Excel
• Basic plumbing, carpentry, and small engine maintenance skills preferred
• Can manage the accomplishment of multiple competing seasonal priorities at the same time.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Application deadline is Jan 3rd by 9AM, position begins Feb 1st, 2018