Fernbrook Farms located in Chesterfield, NJ is seeking a Food Production/CSA Manager to grow & sell all aspects of our food production. Fernbrook Farms is a 230-acre diverse, preserved farm located in Chesterfield Township, central New Jersey. The farm runs a wholesale tree and plant nursery, operates a Bed & Breakfast specializing in weddings and related events, runs year round environmental education programs including a summer camp, and an organic vegetable CSA which raises pigs and brambles in addition to a diverse line of vegetables and herbs. We have had a successful CSA since 2007 that currently consists of over 300 shares with more than 400 families. Throughout the Northeast the CSA model is challenged to find new avenues for local food production. We are looking for someone who wants to meet that challenge and move our CSA and food production forward in new and creative ways.
The Food Production/CSA Manager will oversee and manage all of the efforts to make the food production season as successful, fruitful and financially sound as possible. The position covers a lot of areas from food production to marketing, shareholder outreach, hiring, and maintenance. The Food Production/CSA Manager works autonomously in daily operations and in partnership with ownership in certain aspects that relate to the different departments on the farm.
• Food Production – selection, seeds, u-pick crops, brambles, fruit trees, value added crops, cover crops, soil health, etc.
• Marketing & Distribution – CSA on-farm shares, off-farm box shares, shareholder outreach, wholesale sales, The Inn at Fernbrook Farms, partnerships (NOFANJ, NJCRAFT, etc.), and more
• Labor – hiring, apprenticeship program, work shares, volunteers
• Maintenance – equipment, greenhouses, buildings, aesthetic appearance
• Livestock – pigs and other possibilities
The Food Production/CSA Manager is a Full-Time, Year-Round Position.
The Food Production/CSA Manager should have 3+ years of growing experience. As well as experience with the following:
• Tractors/Farm Equipment
• Soil Health: Cover Crops/Composting/Pesticides
• Food Security Regulation
• Management/Administrative Work
Energy, enthusiasm, a love for farming, a willingness to experiment and fail, and an ability to motivate, teach and excite others about growing food and working hard is paramount.
Candidates should send resume and cover letter to Larry & Brian Kuser (email@example.com).