Employment Dates: 9-month position; February 22, 2022 - November 23, 2022
The Garden-Based Educator + Farm Hand is a dual role, under the direction of the Youth Programs Director and Farm Manager. On the Educator side, this person will collaborate with Youth Garden Project (YGP) staff, community partners, and Grand County High School to lead teenagers in a variety of youth programs at YGP. On the Farm Hand side, this person will assist in the upkeep of garden spaces. We are looking for an individual who is flexible, collaborative, able to work independently, exhibits strong leadership, and is enthusiastic about using the garden and process of growing food to teach academic and life lessons to youth of all ages and backgrounds.
● $16/hour with an average 30-hour work week
● Access to fresh produce as part of our staff share CSA program
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
50% Garden-Based Educator – this part of the position is responsible for the coordinating, facilitating, and assessment of youth programs in the following areas:
Grand County High School Programs
● Collaborate with the Career and Technical Education (CTE) Director to partner and meet department agriculture education needs
● Build on and teach two agricultural/garden education-based high school courses during spring and fall trimester, during which students attend classes at the garden five days a week
● Design and implement possible internship experiences through the CTE Work-Based Learning program
● Work with SPED teacher(s) to create and facilitate lesson plans on a regular basis
● Act as liaison for any and all interested teachers to incorporate garden-based education with their curricula including, but not limited to: Foods & Nutrition, Food Sciences, Natural Resources, Plant & Soil Science, etc.
Seed Crew (Summer Youth Development & Job-Training Program for teens aged 14-18)
● Improve and continue development of the overall structure of Seed Crew in its’ fourth year!
● Help recruit applicants, conduct interviews, and hire at least two Seed Crew members.
● Co-train, manage, and mentor participants throughout the duration of the summer (9 weeks)
Other Youth Program Duties
● Build relationships with the schools and teachers in addition to families of program attendees
● Utilize Positive Youth Development principles when engaging with students
● Help the Youth Programs Crew implement middle school programs as needed
● Develop & administer program evaluations and interpret data with Youth Programs Director
● Track numbers and compile other data for reporting & grant writing purposes
50% Farm Hand – this part of the position is responsible for collaborating with the Farm Manager and Produce Manager in the upkeep of garden spaces. Responsibilities could include:
• Assist in harvest and field work including but not limited to seeding, transplanting, trellising, hand weeding, cultivating, using row cover, and managing irrigation
• Communicate with the Farm Manager to schedule collaborative projects and work time around other programmatic duties
• Help the Farm Manager implement approved plans for short- and long-term improvements to growing spaces and systems
• Collaborate with and assist the Produce Manager with processing, packaging, organizing, and delivering produce or developing value-added products as needed
General YGP Responsibilities
● All YGP staff are required to work some weekend and evening hours to support YGP community events and garden chores.
● Be an enthusiastic representative of the Youth Garden Project at all times
● Be ready to work outside the majority of the day in all possible Moab weather conditions
Desired Skills and Experience: applicant must be 21 or older
● Hands-on agricultural/gardening experience and general knowledge preferred
● Experience working directly with youth in school and/or school-garden settings, designing curriculum, and/or working in non-traditional education spaces
● Strengths in time management, prioritizing and delegating tasks, and working collaboratively to achieve short- and long-term goals
● Ability to communicate effectively and positively with staff and community members
● Highly organized throughout preparation and execution of programs including data collection, participation tracking, and evaluation
● Record of sound job performance and project management based on results
● Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus
● Strong interest in working at an educational garden and furthering the mission of the Youth Garden Project
E-mail a cover letter and resume with three professional references to our Youth Program Director, Erin Vick, email@example.com.