THE HIGH LONESOME RANCH- www.thehighlonesomeranch.com
A working and guest Ranch with conservation at the core of all our activities sits along the spine of the continent on the Western slope of the Colorado Rockies. The High Lonesome Ranch has dedicated significant resources and efforts to conserve and restore these important habitats and watersheds. We continue our mission on this iconic landscape for the land itself and for wildlife. The Ranch partners with local, regional and national landowners, research institutions, NGOs, government agencies and private companies to understand these vast lands, direct regenerative activities, and share what we learn with others.
Everything we do at the Ranch begins with the Land. The Ranch encompasses 370+ square miles of private and leased mountain forests, grasslands, spring creeks, wetlands and alpine mesas of altitudes ranging from 4,200 to 9,400 feet. The Ranch is dedicated to an economically sustainable operating model that incorporates quality guest services, a livestock and agriculture operation and multiple initiatives to support and enhance these lands. Regenerative ranching, including adaptive grazing and regenerative agriculture, uses natural processes to not just sustain the land as it is today, but restore it and share with our many guests and partners.
• Mobile-On Site Housing
• Clothing Allowance
• Leave Consisting of Vacation, Sick, and Holiday
• Life Insurance
• 401k Vested Matching
Role & Responsibilities
• The goat herd foreman (GHF) will be responsible for maintaining the health and proper nutrition of the goat herd using herding dogs and mobile infrastructure.
• GHF will coordinate the desired impact of the herd on vegetation, with the Livestock and Agriculture Manager to facilitate ecological goals: such as fuels reduction, target species reduction/removal, and grass recruitment.
• GHF will perform necessary task to conduct breeding, kidding, and kid sales, on an appropriate reproductive schedule set in conjunction with the Livestock and Agriculture Manager.
• GHF will coordinate with Livestock and Agriculture Staff Members to access additional labor when required but will be responsible for daily herding and management needs.
The High Lonesome Ranch anticipates growing our goat enterprise rapidly.
Experience herding goats on range is a must. This is a role with opportunity for growth.
• 1+ years experience herding goats, management experience preferred
• Willingness to live with the herd in mobile housing
• A desire to grow the enterprise to match the opportunity of this large landscape
• The GHF must be proactive and committed to learning about and implementing the mission of the Ranch.
• A passion for the land, conservation and wildlife.
• A work style that befits a growth organization, based on collaboration, curiosity, active listening, clear communication, problem-solving and accountability.
To apply please email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with some information about why you want to this position.