Unconditional Freedom is looking for a full-time gardener and educator to manage the gardens at the Mendocino County Jail & Mendocino County Juvenile Hall.
Our organization has been growing food, flowers and aesthetic plants in a usable space of approximately three acres. As part of our partnership with Mendocino College, you will become an adjunct professor, allowing the incarcerated to receive credit and certifications for their time.
The ideal candidate will be called to work with the local incarcerated community and be able to dynamically lead a team allowing other individuals to lead and manage where they have skills or gifts. You will also teach and guide a garden crew of up to 10 incarcerated individuals.
They will have:
• Develops crop plans including needs for the jail kitchen chef.
• Purchases seeds, propagates seedlings at greenhouse, prepares beds for planting and transplants seedlings.
• Irrigates, fertilizes and weeds all planted areas in permacultural and rotational methods prescribed.
• Maintains all growing plants, gardens and beds to aesthetic, including labels for all edible plants, shrubs and trees.
• Maintains, repairs and extends the irrigation systems and timers whenever necessary.
• Maintains ground covers, augmenting as needed.
• Is responsible for safeguarding and maintaining farm equipment, tools and supplies.
• Harvests, weighs, labels and delivers edible product whenever ripe so that it can be used by kitchen.
• Manages and provides educational support to group of up to ten incarcerated people.
• Communicates regularly with team, checks email and text messages daily.
• Publishes a weekly memo, advising chef in kitchen on availability of farm produce.
• Is responsible for meeting or exceeding departmental financial revenue targets.
• Maintains clean and tidy work environment in the greenhouse, fields, and storage areas.
• Plants and maintains seasonal colorful annuals to enhance the appearance of the display garden aesthetic.
• Any and all other duties as assigned.
Must successfully pass a background check. Advanced degree in horticulture or agriculture preferred. Master Gardener Certification and beekeeper experience a plus. Salary commensurate with experience.
Please call Chelsea Nieman at 734-476-6961 or email email@example.com to apply!