Hello! We are a couple who needs occasional assistance around our small apple orchard and growing homestead in remote Virginia (25 minutes from charlottesville). We also have a small vegetable garden and may have some poultry in the future. Applicant needs a car and be willing to work long term as responsibilities increase.
While this position is part time and may only be a few hours a month during the off season, there are months during the summer when work is much more frequent, or we are traveling, and it may be 10-20 hours per week.
- using holistic organic sprays on apple trees as instructed
- mowing and lawn maintenance according to a specific schedule
- periodic fence and predator checks
- caring for the vegetable garden (currently on an automated rain barrel irrigation system)
- help maintaining fence and building other structures like decks and coops
- trail building around the 40 acre property
-other tasks as needed
Open to experienced and novice orchard hands, particularly students interested in permaculture or fruit trees.
Please send your resume and a note explaining your interest in this position and availability throughout the upcoming year.