Full-time, seasonal, May through December. Long term employment available
Dharma Ridge Farm is a 100 acre organic farm located on the beautiful Olympic Peninsula in the foothills of the Olympic Mountain Range in Quilcene, WA. With 50 acres in annual crop production, we grow a wide variety of vegetables for local and regional wholesale markets. Zach Wailand and Haley Olson-Wailand, a husband-and-wife team, started Dharma Ridge Farm in 2003. Since then, the farm has evolved from a small 1 acre market garden to the much larger farm that we are today. Our fine vegetables are sold primarily through wholesale distribution and to local grocers and can be found in stores across Washington, Idaho and Oregon. We employ a small hard-working crew of amazing individuals. Dharma Ridge Farm does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, or ability. Please visit our website to learn more about our farm, www.dharmaridgefarm.com.
As Irrigation Lead, you will be part of a 2 person team that are the primary people responsible for setting up, moving, and maintaining the farm’s irrigation systems. This includes moving and maintaining our handline aluminum irrigation pipe, operating and maintaining our irrigation tractors and irrigation pump, and monitoring and keeping track of our irrigation rotation.
This position works closely with one other Irrigation Lead, the Farm Owner, Production Manager, Field Crew Lead, and Field Crew Members, and as such must be a clear and timely communicator. This position will often be assisted by the help of a Field Crew member, and as such must be able to manage effectively.
This position will require frequent light tractor work, and applicants must be adept with light machinery and pump operation. Ideal candidates are hard-working, pay close attention to detail, and familiar with organic vegetable production and the myriad of conditions that affect an irrigation schedule.
Irrigation duties will generally only occupy up to 50% of this position’s time. At all other times, this position will work with the Field Crew, performing the same tasks as the Field Crew, which is primarily harvesting and packing vegetables for orders. Please see the job description for Field Crew Member for a more detailed explanation of these tasks and how they vary throughout the season.
Please note: Candidates must be able to lift 50 pounds and move heavy items. If you have a history of chronic back pain or other serious physical ailments or limitations, this position would not be a good fit for you.
40-50/wk (hours change with the season). Either a Sunday-Thursday schedule or Tuesday-Saturday schedule, to be determined prior to the start of the season. Additional working hours available for motivated individuals. Part-time work available through the winter for interested candidates.
Commensurate with experience, and includes all the vegetables that you can eat from the farm.
Farm Owners, Production Manager, Field Crew Lead
● Moving, setting up, and maintaining our overhead irrigation system
● General irrigation maintenance and minor repairs
● Working collaboratively with 1 other Irrigation Lead
● Frequent management and oversight of 1 other employee
● Soil moisture assessment and irrigation tracking
● Minimal drip tape installation and maintenance
● Tracking and record keeping of irrigation date and duration
● Communicating and delegating irrigation responsibilities as needed
● Light tractor work
● General farm labor as needed
● At least one year of experience that is applicable to this position (farming/irrigation/produce)
● Familiarity with organic vegetable production and the myriad of conditions that affect an irrigation schedule
● Experience managing or supervising others
● Attention to detail
● Punctuality and strong time management skills
● Positive and energetic disposition with strong interpersonal skills
● Strong back with the ability to lift heavy and awkward objects
● Ability to work well in both a team setting and independently
● Fast learner and ability to adapt to new positions and working with new people
● Ability to take direction, accept constructive feedback and to ask for help when needed
● Ability to give direction and act as a leader among peers and colleagues
● Ability to work for long durations in inclement weather
● Ability to perform and endure repetitive physical work
Please email a letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Zach Wailand and Haley Olson-Wailand
Dharma Ridge Farm
Please write “Irrigation Lead” in the email subject line and include where you found this job posting in the body of the message.