Terra Nova Ecological Landscaping is looking for an upbeat, energetic bicycle-friendly Maintenance Manager Trainee to join our team. We are a high profile landscape contracting company that has provided design, build and maintenance services in the greater Santa Cruz area since 1988.
This is a permanent, full-time position with a friendly, values-driven company that embraces a Triple Bottom Line philosophy ("People, Planet, Profit"). We do not use toxic chemicals or gas-powered equipment. We practice ecological methods and Permaculture. We offer the highest quality services, for maximum customer satisfaction.
The Maintenance Manager Trainee will learn to coordinate and run Terra Nova's monthly maintenance program. This includes performing actual landscape maintenance work at customer houses and commercial accounts (weeding, raking, pruning, etc.), both by bicycle (with trailer) and by truck. (Most properties are landscapes, not lawns so there is little mowing.) It also includes prep work such as coordinating routes and organizing schedules, as well as organizing tools and stocking supplies. Importantly, this position interacts with customers on behalf of Terra Nova, ensuring quality service, and communicating client needs or concerns back to management. This position communicates and "tag teams" with supervisor and staff on a daily basis. After promotion to Maintenance Manager, you will supervise one or more employees.
In addition to monthly maintenance accounts, the work also includes landscape gardening projects, and occasional help with installations.
We are seeking an employee with a desire to grow in the position and with the company, contributing to success.
• Love working outdoors with plants
• Good communication skills (interpersonal, phone, text, email)
• Positive, can-do attitude
• Cooperative, flexible and patient
• Problem-solving ability
• Self-accountable: Values transparency, honesty and trusting relationships
• Leadership ability, with collegial spirit
• Punctual, with good time management skills
REQUIRED ABILITIES & EXPERIENCE:
• 1 year garden maintenance experience (weeding, raking, mowing, etc.)
• Excellent time management and organizational ability
• Able to work independently AND with a team
• High school diploma; some college preferred
• Capable and competent
• Must have a smart phone, good pruning shears, and gloves.
• Can lift 50 lbs.
• Fit enough to ride a bicycle with a trailer
• Light online skills (for time reporting) and email
DESIRED ABILITIES & EXPERIENCE:
• 1 year minimum horticulture, gardening, landscaping or nursery experience
• Familiarity with Permaculture
• Horticultural education or landscaping certification
• Planting experience
• Drip irrigation experience
• Your own vehicle with driver's license in good standing
• Internet and computer skills
• Create trusting relationships with clients, as a representative of Terra Nova
• Establish and maintain cordial, cooperative relationships with co-workers
• Attend staff meetings
• Communicate personal issues that may affect performance
• Submit vacation requests as soon as possible so that proper coverage can be provided
DAYS/ HOURS: 32-40 hours per week, Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm
COMPENSATION: Based on experience, capabilities and skillset
• Paid holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years
• 48 hours paid sick leave per year (accrues over time)
• Paid lunch time
• Support for professional development and continuing education
SUPERVISOR: Report to owner and manager of company
Please send an introductory email about yourself, including why you are interested in this job and how your background makes you a good candidate. Include a resume and three references with contact information (email and phone) to firstname.lastname@example.org.