The Herbfarm is a one-of-a-kind AAA 5-diamond-rated restaurant serving 9 course chef–selected menus for a 4-hour dining experience. The restaurant has had its own farm for 30 years and uses only locally sourced ingredients in its 20 different menu changes each year. It is America’s only 5-Diamond Restaurant north of San Francisco and west of Chicago. This position works closely with Chef to determine crops, timing, harvest etc at the farm. And works closely with GM for display/beauty plantings around the restaurant itself.
Overview: Maintain the Herbfarm Restaurant’s 5-acre production farm that grows, harvests, & delivers high quality herbs, eggs, and produce to our restaurant. Animal care. Maintain and oversight of on-site display gardens. Oversee small staff/volunteers. Computerized tracking of crops and harvested produce. Flexibility and willingness to work hard and sometimes long hours in all weather.
• Creating and maintaining growing schedule for The Herbfarm farm based on the chef’s input.
• Propagating. Planting. Cultivating. Weeding. Harvesting to kitchen specifications. Transplanting. Seeding. Trellising. Irrigation.
• Operating a tractor, walk-behind tractor, rototiller, and mulching mower.
• IPM and biological soil & plant management for sustainable techniques. Composting.
• Occasional interaction with public when restaurant classes & events are at the farm or at educational events.
• Care of apiary, pigs, chickens.
• Oversee farm safety.
• Oversee, train, manage, keep happy: Assistant Farmer and small team of seasonal workers and volunteers.
• Create/Maintain stunning, mostly edible, display gardens at the restaurant including indoor and outdoor pots, fountain.
• Represent The Herbfarm in local community agricultural organizations and events as needed.
• Communicate consistently with the General Manager and The Herbfarm Chef.
Experience and Qualifications:
• 2+ full growing seasons experience with row crop vegetables and culinary herbs (preferably in Western Washington or similar climate)
• Creative skills to manage all aspects of mixed vegetable, fruit, flower, & herb production
• A long term interest in farming & local food production
• Some horticultural experience with display gardens, pots, etc.
• Animal care experience
• Good physical condition: able to lift 50# repeatedly with stamina & energy.
• Simple tinkerer/fixer with basic carpentry skills
• Experience with small gas powered machinery, i.e. rototillers & mulching mowers
• Experience driving tractors and using farm implements
• Be self-directed and comfortable working alone AND be a team player reaching for shared goals
• Strong communication skills—written and verbal
• Experience managing growing and harvest data—MS office
• Understanding of IPM, biological soil and plant management
Works well with others and alone takes direction well
Self -starting, motivated
Takes pride in work well done Organized and tidy
Cares for staff
Creative AND willing to take artistic direction Must be interested in food
Communicates well Trustworthy and honest Doesn’t give up easily
Please visit www.theherbfarm.com and click on "employment" at the bottom of the home page for a detailed description AND information on how to apply.