Apricot Lane Farms is a 214-acre organic and biodynamic farm located 40 miles north of Los Angeles and 20 miles east of Ventura in Moorpark, CA. We are seeking a talented and experienced Market Garden Manager to oversee, manage and execute all needs of our farm’s 2.1-acre Market Garden while striving to maintain the principles of Biodynamic and Organic Farming. The ideal candidate has extensive market gardening experience, can effectively lead a team, and is highly organized and wildly passionate about growing produce with a focus on nutrient density and regenerative farming practices.
● Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Apricot Lane Farms 2.1-acre market garden
● Greenhouse management, weed management, soil preparation, integrated pest management and disease monitoring, compost application and irrigation.
● Establish a yearly rotation schedule.
● Coordinate with other Team Leads for garden planning and ensure goals of the farm are met.
● Maintain detailed record-keeping of garden processes, for both internal data and for the Demeter and CCOF Certification Process. Record keeping will include, but is not limited to, fertilizer application, crop rotation, seed and supply purchases, seed saving / daily log and more.
● Coordinate and execute all aspects of garden harvesting and preparation for produce sale.
● Order all garden-related materials according to farm protocol (acquiring approvals as needed).
● Supervise Garden Team, maintaining sensitive employee information, and providing feedback and evaluations as needed.
● Lead by example – maintaining a clean, safe, and positive work environment for the team.
● Actively participate in Team Lead meetings and initiatives.
● Work with Apprentices and coordinate weekend watering responsibilities with them.
● Help collaborate and support the farm’s needs outside of core responsibilities (e.g., organization of equipment tools, lending a hand to other departments, etc.)
● Passion for regenerative, organic, and/or biodynamic farming practices and philosophies
● Ability to be self-motivated and work independently in a fast-paced outdoor work environment
● Ability to effectively lead a team through coaching, mentoring and motivation
● Ability to effectively interact with all levels of guests, volunteers, management, and staff
● Able/willing and able to walk up hilly and steep terrain daily
● Able/willing to work outside in a variety of extreme weather conditions – rain, cold, heat and wind.
● Be able to perform physical work required for garden maintenance
● Be prepared to work a flexible schedule to meet the changing needs of the business
● Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel (or Google Docs, Spreadsheets, and Slides)
● 3-5 years of hands-on farm and/or market garden experience in a leadership role
● High School Diploma or equivalent, bachelor’s degree or higher preferred
● Excellent communication skills – written, verbal and one-on-one interactions
● Excellent time management, organizational and administration skills
● Excellent problem-solving skills
● Strong leadership skills
● Attention to detail
● Monday – Friday 6:30 am to 3:00pm
Please send Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com