Apricot Lane Farms is a farm integrated within a reawakened ecosystem. With a team that makes the seemingly impossible possible, the farm regeneratively grows more than 200 varieties of fruits and vegetables, and raises sheep, cows, pigs, chickens and ducks with care and respect while working in harmony (or a comfortable level of disharmony) within a dynamic ecosystem. We are seeking a professional and experienced Orchard Manager to oversee and manage all aspects of 100+ acres of Organic/Biodynamic certified diverse orchards including avocado, lemon, mixed citrus, stone fruit, olives, and Mediterranean fruit. The ideal candidate has extensive orchard experience, preferably with a regenerative mindset, is highly organized and can effectively lead a team. Communication and teamwork are vital to this position. The successful candidate will be motivated, growth-oriented and have a collaborative approach to work in sync with other farm teams such as Livestock and the Fertility team.
Direct and coordinate the overall operations of the orchards including orchard development, irrigation, application/pest management, pruning, grafting, harvesting, cover cropping, mowing and fertility management
● Work in collaboration with the Director of Plant and Soil Fertility to implement and improve holistic orchard program through nutritional foliar sprays, cover crops, composting, compost extracts and more
● Maintain detailed record-keeping of orchard processes, for both internal data and for the Demeter and CCOF Certification. Record keeping will include, but is not limited to, fertilizer application, pest application, tree planting, seed and supply purchases, daily log and more
● Manage a team of regular and seasonal employees
● Responsible for leadership, hiring, training, yearly employee evaluations and coaching in a harmonious working climate while maximizing employee morale and productivity
● Understand and train employees in Apricot Lane Farms’ policy, procedures and safety guidelines
● Establish goals, direction and vision while strategically planning all projects in tandem with Farm Leadership
● Maintain farm equipment and identify repairs
● Plan and oversee future orchard development in conjunction with Farm Leadership
● Monitor and enforce all standards related to both food safety and employee safety to ensure compliance with all county, state and federal
● Actively participate in Team Lead meetings and initiatives.
Five years’ experience in farm/orchard production
● Knowledge of tree fruit production practices
● Tractor / Equipment Driving with implements
● Strong leadership, decision-making and creative problem-solving skills
● Strong communication skills and a growth mindset with attention to detail
● Mechanical aptitude, irrigation, spray and pruning knowledge
● Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills
● Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus
● Valid Driver’s License with clean driving records
● Must be able to handle hot and cold days working in the elements.
Please send Cover Letter & Resume to email@example.com