Fishkill Farms is seeking an Orchardist and Fruit Production Manager to work closely with an experienced production team to manage the cultivation, pest management, harvest and packing of the dozens of types of fruit we produce.
Candidates should come with a background of horticultural education, experience working on commercial farms and leadership experience, plus a desire to gain further experience and practical knowledge. Our ideal candidate is enthusiastic about sustainable farming on a large scale, and equally comfortable with the hands-on and the administrative aspects of fruit production.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with an experienced team in a dynamic workplace, and to broaden one’s understanding of community-based farming at a rapidly growing agricultural enterprise!
- Oversee the daily and seasonal production tasks for our trees and berry plants: planting, pruning, trellising, training, mowing, spraying, cultivating, harvest, packing etc.
- Hands-on supervision of crews of up to 20 year-round and seasonal employees including training, scheduling, work plan development etc.
- Regular scouting for pests, diseases and monitoring of plant health to develop pest and nutrient management plans.
- Budgeting and oversight of production-related expenses including inventory management and purchasing of supplies, packaging materials, and tools.
- Operation of tractors, irrigation pumps, and various farm machinery, including application of organic and non-organic crop protectants with an orchard sprayer.
- Assist in pick-your-own operations including helping the many visitors the farm receives.
- Maintain detailed records for internal purposes as well as for the farm’s certifications (eco-apple and organic).
- At least 3 years production experience on a similar sized operation, with one year of experience in a leadership role.
- Expertise in fruit and vegetable production, understanding of agricultural pests, diseases and crop protectants and prior experience working on a diversified fruit farm.
- Proficiency with farm equipment including tractors and tractor-drawn implements.
- High level of organization; excellent communication skills. Ability to work effectively and cooperatively in a team setting.
- Proficiency with spreadsheet and word processing software such as excel and google docs.
- Ability to comfortably and safely lift 50 lbs.
- Comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Driver’s license and clean driving record.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with “Orchard Manager 2019” in the subject line.