We are a small, certified organic, diversified farm in the foothills of Watsonville. We are looking for someone to help in all aspects of production, harvest, and sales of diverse fruit crops: apple, quince, figs, lemons, tangerines, pears, peaches, and a small amount of vegetable crops. Tasks include trapping gophers, maintaining irrigation lines, fertilizing, weeding, thinning, harvesting, and post-harvest handling. Employee would be expected to help at one or more farmers' markets on weekends per week from August to January.
40 hours per week from March to the end of the year with flexibility to work less if desired. Applicant must make commitment for the full season. There is opportunity for advancement into a year-round full-time position.
Starting pay is from $12 to $14 per hour, with the higher starting rate for those with tractor and irrigation experience. After a 60 day trial period, a raise of $1 per hour is likely. Employee also receives plenty of fruit and vegetables. Unfortunately we cannot provide lodging, and candidates must demonstrate that they are already living locally or are able to relocate soon.
• Maintaining orchard plantings with tasks described above,
• Work in a team atmosphere along with other permanent and seasonal workers.
• Other activities as designated by farm owner.
• Harvest and packing of produce and assembling orders and farmers market loads.
• Keeping records of inputs used on all crops and harvests.
• English required, some Spanish is desirable but not required.
• Valid drivers license and clean driving record
• Healthy physical condition and ability to lift 50 lbs.
• Farming experience is desireable, especially experience maintaining and using equipment such as tractors and weed-wackers and irrigation repairs.
• Good organization and attention to detail
Please send resume, including references, to email@example.com.