Willowsford Conservancy is an integral part of the Willowsford community, located in Aldie and Ashburn, Virginia. A non-profit established in 2011, the Conservancy is the steward of 2,200 acres of open space. Its mission is to support “...the viable, long-term use of the land, integrating farming, recreation, conservation, and education to enhance the quality of life for the residents of Willowsford and the greater community.”
As part of Willowsford Conservancy,
Willowsford Farm manages approximately 18 acres for vegetable, herb, fruit, and flower production, including high tunnels for winter production. The farm spans three properties, with over 300 acres under the team’s management. The farm is well equipped with machinery, equipment, and facilities, using mechanization to be as efficient as possible. The farm grows certified organic produce and raises eggs on pasture. Products are sold through CSA memberships, local wholesale outlets, and online channels. The Farm team is committed to the mission of Willowsford Conservancy and embraces the community’s values and goals.
Willowsford Conservancy helps residents connect with food, the land, and each other through the Farm and CSA, education and recreation programs, and sustainable land management practices. The Farm’s primary goal is to provide high-quality, sustainably grown produce. Planned production for 2021 includes 400 CSA vegetable shares, 150 winter vegetable shares, and 450 laying hens.
Reporting to the Farm Manager, the hands-on Production Manager works with a team of year-round and seasonal farmers to help manage field operations for our certified organic vegetable farm and assure the timely production of high-quality produce.
• This is a year-round, salaried position with a generous benefits package. Salary starts at $42,000, based on experience
• Subsidized housing in a single-family home may be rented on one of the farm properties.
Working closely with the Farm Manager, develop and execute farm management and production plans, develop work orders and direct farm crews. This is a hands-on, field- based position responsible for carrying out farm production activities.
• Assist with the development and implementation of production plans for vegetable, fruit, and herb production
• Work closely with Farm Manager to plan, manage, and execute field work, fertility application, seeding, planting, cultivation, pest/disease management, and irrigation to meet production goals and assure high product quality
• Operate farm equipment and machinery in a safe and efficient manner
• Supervise farm crew and operations during field activities
• Maintain production records for organic certification and food safety purposes
• Assist with the maintenance and repair of equipment, facilities, and infrastructure
• Help maintain a safe, clean, inviting, and organized environment for staff,
customers, and visitors.
• The position and the farm may evolve; other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
• This position predominantly works in the field in all weather conditions and all times of the year, and requires heaving lifting and physical exertion, driving and walking in uneven terrain, operating land management equipment, and working for extended periods in rugged outdoor conditions. Weekend & extended hours are required during the growing season
• 2 or more years of hands-on experience in organic vegetable production, with knowledge of a wide range of crops and growing practices
• 1-3 years of management experience
• Positive crew member and leader with a strong work ethic
• Self-directed, and willing to accept and utilize feedback and instruction
• Problem solver, creative thinker, and team player
• Proficient and confident in operating a wide range of farm equipment including
tractors, transplanters, tillage, harvesting and maintenance equipment
• Experience in all aspects of crop production from propagation to planting, growing, harvesting, and post-harvest handling
• Proficient with computers, mobile devices, commonly used software, and office equipment
• Valid driver’s license and good driving record
• Must be able to comfortably lift and/or move 50lbs and work outdoors in all
types of weather
• Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
• Degree in agriculture, horticulture, or related field
• Experience in CSA production and management
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed as received. The position is open until filled.