During 2018, the owners of Canyon Gardens will be launching a new marketing outlet in Caliente, Nevada. Establishing the new venture will consume a lot of the owner’s time and leave little time to run the farm. Therefore, we are looking to partner with an organic farmer who is willing invest the time and money to maintain and potentially expand farm production on Canyon Gardens. The big advantage for the organic farmer is that you will be able to sell 100% of your produce to the new marketing outlet where it will be turned into seasonal café dishes or preserved for use in the winter or marketing online. There are no middle men involved, so you get good prices for your produce and can sell produce that is less than premium grade. Very few organic farmers have the opportunity to focus solely on farm production because the produce sales are already guaranteed.
The farmer will be fully responsible for executing the production plan developed in collaboration with the owners and will be selecting and leading seasonal field staff. Our goal is to offer a high level of autonomy to the farmer to make day to day decisions, develop and deepen their skills, continue to grow the farm, and contribute to the farm’s profitability.
Because of the farm’s remote location, it is expected that the farmer will live in housing on farm. During the summer, key work hours are from dawn to noon to maintain produce quality. The off grid location is a bit rustic, but there is phone and internet service. Except for brief, infrequent visits by trains and jetfighters, both locations are peaceful and surrounded by nature with the Clover Mountain Wilderness immediately to the east. There is an option of housing in a trailer at Elgin or in a house at North Kyle. Rent is to be determined and will be based on projected costs for annual maintenance of housing, but it will be much less than rent in town.
Given seasonal nature of farming, the farmer is expected to work the hours to get the job done. We can work up to 80 hrs/week during the peak of the season and 20 hours per week during the off season. Extended time off can be arranged during the off season.
• Implement all farm activities on both parcels from soil preparation and planting to harvest and packing. This includes, but is not limited to: crop planning, integrated weed and pest management, labor management, crop fertility management and food safety.
• Input farm activity data daily in Agsquared web -based software and maintain other farm records as required (e.g., GAP or organic records).
• Cultivate a work environment based on a strong work ethic, clear communication, commitment to excellence and a job well done.
• Attend and participate in farm meetings and events as required.
• Act as an ambassador for the farm, on site and in the community.
• In-depth knowledge of organic vegetable production and harvesting operations, including crop rotation, pest control, fertility management, post-harvest handling and storage etc.
• Minimum 3 years diversified organic vegetable production experience, management experience preferred or a combination of production experience and a B.S. degree in an agriculture related field.
• The ability to maintain a positive attitude, have fun, and collaborate with the rest of the farm team in a fast moving and mentally demanding environment.
• The ability to learn new methods of farming/gardening and sharing existing knowledge of farming/gardening
• Experience, willingness, and interest in managing 2-5 employees.
• Understand budgeting and financial statements and a willingness to achieve financial goals.
• Some mechanical aptitude and experience operating farm equipment.
• Interested in education and teaching farm skills to apprentices and the public.
• Able to lift 50+ pounds, bend, crouch for long periods of time in all weather conditions.
• Willingness to work weekends and some holidays.
• Interest in making a long term commitment to this position – minimum 2 years.
This is a full time, year round position. Pay will largely be based on farm profits and with time include partial farm ownership. Compensation package may include health care coverage and continuing education opportunities. Details will be negotiated at time of offer. Position is available now.
Please send 1) letter of interest, 2) resume, and 3) three references with contact info who can comment on your professional experience. In your letter please include:
• Any relevant experience
• Why you are interested in Canyon Gardens
• Your availability to begin work
Application materials should be sent by February 23, 2018 via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org .