Summer Season 2022
May 17 – August 12
Reports to: Boulder Farm Manager
Job Status: Intern
Compensation: Unpaid, qualifies for credit
Location: Boulder, CO
Check out our Internship Digital Booklet!
Growing Gardens’ mission is to cultivate community through sustainable urban agriculture. Our programs empower people of all ages, income levels, and abilities by connecting them with their local food system, each other, and the environment.
Our organization values the diverse skills and individuals that come together to create a thriving community and workplace. We are committed to the work we do, and bring our best selves each day, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously, have fun, and enjoy the process of doing good in our community. We take care of each other and put people at the center of everything we do.
The Organic Farming Intern will work in all operations on the Boulder farm, will work extensively with the Cultiva youth leaders, and must have both the ability and desire to mentor and engage with young people. The Organic Farming Internship is fast paced and requires a great deal of hard work, focus, and care. It is also deeply rewarding.
Farm Intern Duties
● Assist the Farm Manager and growing staff in all aspects of farm operation
● Operation and maintenance of tools and equipment.
● Installation and operation of irrigation systems.
● Bed preparation and planting.
● Seeding, transplanting, thinning, and fertilizing seedlings.
● Cultivation and weeding.
● Pest and disease management.
● Harvesting, washing, and packing of crops for CSA, Farm Stand, wholesale accounts, and donations.
● Cover cropping
● Maintenance of grounds and site infrastructure.
● Assist, teach, and oversee volunteers with greenhouse, wash station, and field-related tasks
● Mentor and teach teens in the Cultiva Youth Project
● Assist with CSA pickups and Farm Stand (this requires some evening hours)
Structure of Internship
● Internship duration is May 17 – August 12, 2022
● Intern must attend mandatory orientation
● Intern position is 15 hours per week. These hours will be spread out over two to three days each week.
● One of these days must be a Tuesday or Wednesday. Ideally, summer interns will work regular CSA and Farm Stand shifts, which take place on Wednesday evenings.
● Intern will attend the internship orientation meeting.
● Intern will work closely with a mentor who oversees daily activities and supports each Intern’s growth during the season.
Benefits of Interning with Growing Gardens
● Experience working on and managing a diversified vegetable operation.
● Hands-on experience making a positive impact in the lives of children, teens, and adults.
● Community connections and networking within the burgeoning local food movement.
● Friendly, relaxed environment.
● Develop marketable teaching, leadership, and management skills.
● Classroom training offered through Growing Gardens classes.
● Access to a wide variety of discounted organic seeds and plant starts.
● Fresh vegetables from the garden as the season permits.
● Site is centrally located and easily accessed via public transportation.
● All Growing Gardens internships qualify for university credit if that is desired by the intern.
A note about working here in the time of Covid-19:
Like everyone around the globe our operations have been challenged by this pandemic. Our work has had to shift at a moments’ notice based on Public Health guidelines and changing priorities for the organization. We ask that interns are understanding of changing schedules and planned work as is necessary. We also require all interns to be fully vaccinated for Covid-19.
● Responsible, dedicated, and organized individual
● Strong work ethic and a passion for learning how to grow food and develop community
● Ability to work early morning hours
● Ability to hustle and thrive under pressure
● Physically capable of manual tasks, including lifting 40 pounds
● Applicants must be CPR and First Aid certified by May 17, 2022
● Fluency in other languages
● Experience working in adverse conditions
● Experience in community building, education, and volunteer leadership
Please visit http://growinggardens.org/internships/ for full description and more information
Send resume and cover letter, that includes below information to Sarah Kell: email@example.com Please include your name and “Summer Organic Farming Internship” in the subject line.
Applications due February 18th, 2022.
In your cover letter, please include:
● Any previous volunteer and/or work in an agricultural setting
● What you bring to internship with us
● What you hope to gain from this internship
● What days of the week and times you are available for this 15 hour/week internship.