March 1 – May 27, 2022
Reports to: Greenhouse and Facilities Coordinator
Job Status: Intern
Compensation: Unpaid, qualifies for credit
Location: Boulder, CO
Check out our Internship Digital Booklet!
Growing Gardens’ mission is to cultivate community through sustainable urban agriculture. Our programs empower people of all ages, income levels, and abilities by connecting them with their local food system, each other, and the environment.
Our organization values the diverse skills and individuals that come together to create a thriving community and workplace. We are committed to the work we do, and bring our best selves each day, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously, have fun, and enjoy the process of doing good in our community. We take care of each other and put people at the center of everything we do.
The focus of this internship will be to support the organic greenhouse production for all aspects of Growing Gardens’ programs. Greenhouse production consists of growing for our Children’s Peace Garden programs, the Cultiva Youth Farm, our annual Plant Sale, and donation program for low income individuals and families.Interns will also be an integral part of training, and working alongside volunteers in the greenhouse and gardens. The Greenhouse Internship is a great opportunity for someone interested in pursuing work in the nursery, farming, or horticulture industries. The magic of growing food for the community is a powerful experience; come and be a part of the growing season at Growing Gardens.
Greenhouse and Garden Intern Duties
● Assisting the Growers in all phases of plant growth in a greenhouse environment:
▪ pest control
▪ record keeping
▪ general tending and organizing
● Learn about organic gardening and its required skills
● Compile and update records
● Assist, teach and oversee volunteers and groups of volunteers with greenhouse tasks
● Watering and care for the greenhouse plants on alternating weekends
● Assist with Plant Sale production and be available to work 3-4 weekend Plant Sale shifts throughout the month of May
● Gain an understanding of the Growing Gardens programs and their needs and contributions
Knowledge and Skills the Intern May Acquire
● Gain skills and understanding of organic food starts, heirloom tomatoes and veggies
● Small scale organic vegetable production techniques
● The ability to work in a team environment
● The ability to work in a dynamic environment: this includes being comfortable changing tasks, working/leading diverse groups and feeling confident with a diverse population
● Organic greenhouse practices, production methods and marketing
● Create positive atmosphere for the interaction of diverse populations
● Ability to organize work and volunteer groups
● Develop an ability to anticipate work and volunteer needs and gain the confidence needed to lead groups and individuals
Structure of Internship
● Internship duration is March 1 – May 27, 2022
● This unpaid intern position is 15 hours per week. Note: hours may vary between weeks; however the average number of hours per week will be 15 hours. Hours primarily take place during the week, however there is some required weekend work, especially during the month of May.
● To apply for this internship you MUST be available for at least two, 4-hour morning shifts per week, or one full week day.
● Must attend an intern orientation, which will take place within the first 2 weeks of your internship experience. Time and date TBD.
● Each Intern is supported by a Mentor and a Supervisor
● Mentor oversees daily activities and supports each Intern’s growth during weekly meetings throughout the duration of the contract
Benefits of Interning with Growing Gardens
● Experience working on and managing work groups in a commercial greenhouse setting
● Hands-on experience making a positive impact in the lives of children, teens and adults
● Friendly, relaxed environment
● Good experience; develops marketable teaching and group leading skills
● Additional training offered through Growing Gardens classes
● Access to a wide variety of discounted organic seeds and plant starts
● Fresh vegetables from the garden as the season permits
● Garden is easily accessible with public transportation
● This internship qualifies for college credit.
We are looking for individuals who are passionate about learning how to grow food and community. The programs of Growing Gardens depend on the plants and food produced in the greenhouse and fields as earned income for our programs. The Greenhouse Grower must be responsible, dedicated and organized. While some growing experience is desired it is not required for this position. Intern must have basic CPR and First Aid certificate before March 1st, 2022.
A note about working here in the time of Covid-19:
Like everyone around the globe our operations have been challenged by this pandemic. Our work has had to shift at a moments’ notice based on Public Health guidelines and changing priorities for the organization. We ask that interns are understanding of changing schedules and planned work as is necessary. All interns must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19.
Please visit http://growinggardens.org/internships/ for full description and more information
Applications are due by February 1, 2022 but position will remain open until filled.
Send an email with subject line including your name and “Spring Greenhouse Intern” with a resume and a cover letter, including a rough schedule of your preferred 15 hours a week, to Wesley Vaughn at firstname.lastname@example.org