JOB SUMMARY: The Crop Farmer is responsible for growing certified organic crops on approximately 2.5 acres of land located at Stonewall Farm. Stonewall Farm is a no-till farm and organic demonstration farm. Crop farmers are responsible for adhering to organic certification requirements, using regenerative approaches and growing crops that help the farm achieve its production goals as well as fulfill its’ mission. The position also care for our egg laying flock and small animals. All work is performed on location at the Stonewall Farm property.
Position runs full-time Feb 1st - October 30th and part-time Nov 1 - Jan 31st. Additional work may be available during winter months in farm store, events of maple sugaring production.
ESSENTIAL FUNTIONS: (Note: the following list of essential functions is not exhaustive, and may be supplemented as necessary.)
1. Develops crop plan for each growing season according to the Farm’s business plan.
2. Plants, cultivates and harvests diversity of crops applying knowledge of growth characteristics of individual crop, soil, climate and market conditions using regenerative farming methods that include no-till, cover crops, bio-conservation controls (as prescribed in our control plan).
3. Determines varieties and quantities of plants to be grown based on crop plan.
4. Selects and purchases seeds, plant stock, supplies and equipment according to Stonewall Farm’s purchasing policy.
5. Decides when and how to plant, cultivate, and irrigate plants and harvest crops, applying knowledge of plant culture.
6. Attaches farm implements, for example, crimper, and drives tractor as needed for various farm tasks.
7. Perform minor maintenance on farm equipment and tractors.
8. Preps soil in fields and greenhouse for planting using compost and other amendments as needed. Arrange for soil testing as needed.
9. Ensure beds are cover cropped during non-growing and rest seasons.
10. Assigns duties and supervises crop laborers, interns, and volunteers, this includes large volunteers of up to 75 people.
11. Manages smaller livestock and poultry.
12. Maintains all crop production records adhering to organic certification requirements.
13. Follows all NH organic certification regulations.
14. Demonstrates and explains farm work and techniques and safety regulations to employees and volunteers.
15. Arranges with buyers for sale and delivery of crop. Price and package crop for retail and wholesale.
16. Install irrigation systems as needed.
17. Maintain greenhouses, equipment sheds and wash station in clean manner.
18. Provide daily updates to the Farm Manager and Executive Director.
19. Assist with farm events.
20. Attend meetings and workshops as directed by the Executive Director.
21. Teach classes to other farmers and members of the public.
22. Perform other duties as assigned.
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: All employees of Stonewall Farm are responsible for working toward the organization’s mission and all goals of the organization. All employees are responsible for following policies and procedures of Stonewall Farm. Employees are not permitted to use farm equipment or assets for personal use or gain or loan/sell equipment with exception of benefits outlined in the Employee Handbook. Breeding and sale of livestock for personal use or benefit is strictly prohibited. Doing so is grounds for immediate termination. Confidentiality must be maintained at all times.
We expect you are physically able to perform your duties and responsibilities as identified in this job description.
1. Work alone for long periods of time
2. Mental/visual (mind/eye/hand coordination)
4. Ability to work in adverse weather conditions
5. Climbing up to various heights
6. Driving (must have dependable transportation)
7. Lifting up to and including 75lbs.
8. Operating machinery and equipment
Must have experience and demonstrated success managing an organic CSA farm. Experience with regenerative and permaculture systems a plus. Degree in agriculture or related field preferred.
Please send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE