The Interfaith Sustainable Food Collaborative (ISFC) is seeking an Outreach and Communications Associate to help us achieve our non-profit mission:
The Interfaith Sustainable Food Collaborative advances the production of and access to healthy food produced in a sustainable, socially just manner by empowering faith communities with models and resources to advance local food systems and public policy. Interfaith Food offers the opportunity to build sustainable food systems and increase food justice through partnerships.
About the Interfaith Sustainable Food Collaborative
The ISFC works to broaden the base of the sustainable agriculture movement by building bridges between faith and farming communities. With an empowerment based approach, we help congregations develop programs through networking, technical assistance and financial assistance. Our focus on sustainable food systems encompasses soil and water protection, social justice, market development and access to food aid programs. The Collaborative facilitates policy activism by connecting congregations to educational resources and specific advocacy opportunities. Interfaith Food has engaged more than 350 faith-based groups to working to grow a more sustainable food system. Find more info.at www.interfaithfood.org
Position Summary: The Outreach and Communications Associate will support congregational projects, programs and relationships that engage faith groups in building sustainable food systems. These projects will include, but are not limited to advancing Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) relationships, farm stands, gardens, and green food procurement policies. The Outreach Associate will advance relationships that facilitate farmers marketing their products to faith-based organizations, and utilizing faith-community assets like land and commercial kitchens for food production and processing. The Outreach Associate will work in a fluid environment; and needs to be able to collaborate with a team but also work independently to advance partnerships, and projects.
Terms: The part-time hourly position requires an average of 32 hours per week, and may periodically involve evening and/or weekend hour work. The position is based in Sebastopol, California. Travel beyond will included regular meetings in Sonoma, Marin, Alameda and Contra Costa counties. Compensation for the position will be based on experience with a full-time equivalent ranging from $36,000 to $39,000 per year. The position reports to the ISFC’s Executive Director. ISFC is a fiscally-sponsored project of Multiplier, a non-profit organization. Benefits include employer paid health, dental and vision insurance, pro-rated vacation time and sick leave, paid holidays, and an opportunity to contribute to an employer-matched tax deferred retirement plan. The primary source of funding for the position is a grant running through March 30th, 2023.
The Outreach and Communication Program Associate’s general responsibilities will include:
• Conduct outreach to faith-based groups and facilitate establishing or developing on-site farm stands or CSA drop-offs at faith community sites to facilitate congregants and neighbors purchasing from local farmers and other ISFC program goals.
• Organize and promote training and networking for faith-based groups advancing food security including: roundtable discussions, training-of-trainers, and a conference.
• Develop publications including fact sheets and a 'tool kit' on best practices to increase direct marketing from local farms to congregants and neighbors.
• Work with existing or new local pilot projects to develop models, and best practices resources for implementing projects.
• Compile reporting information for grant reports and to facilitate program evaluation; and
• Lead updating and development of the organization’s web-site content and social media.
The Outreach and Communication Program Associate will spend a majority of time implementing grants through the Calif. Dep’t. of Food & Agriculture and U.S. Dep’t. of Agriculture focused on:
• Expanding access to fruits and vegetables by improving nutritional awareness and increasing consumption; and expanding availability of affordable and locally grown food;
• Facilitating product sales and access to land to ensure viability of beginning and minority farmers;
• Developing local markets & connecting farmers to consumers by enhancing direct marketing opportunities;
• Organizing and Promoting a Conference and workshops to support faith-based partnerships with direct market farmers; and
• Facilitating access to locally produced food by low-income families with nutrition incentives for farmers markets, CSA and produce stand purchases.
The Ideal Candidate: You have a familiarity with community organizing, sustainable agriculture, food justice and/or faith community work. Strong written communication, facilitation and conflict resolution skills are key. Experience with cross-cultural relationship building and social media is a plus. You can manage electronic newsletters, social-media and web-based contact and project management systems. B.A. degree or above is required. Applicants with at least 2 years of professional experience, preferably in the non-profit sector, will be most competitive. Spanish language skills are desirable.
Interested individuals should contact Steve Schwartz at Steve@interfaithfood.org or (707) 634-4672. Please submit a resume and cover letter by e-mail as soon as possible. The position will remain open until filled. We plan to schedule interviews beginning October 20 and will evaluate on a rolling basis.
We value and promote diversity in the workplace and we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.