Raleigh’s Hillside Farm is a five-acre certified organic farm specializing in diversified vegetable production. Our produce is sold primarily through a 350-member CSA program and a couple dozen wholesale accounts throughout Dane county. Our team is small but mighty. We are committed to building efficient systems, providing an educational and gratifying work environment, and building community through good, high-quality food.
Raleigh’s Hillside Farm is seeking an experienced pack shed manager to efficiently move produce through our washing facility expediting the wash, pack, label and storage processes while maintaining food safety practices.
We are looking for someone with a great work ethic, positive attitude, and strong dedication to our mission who functions well in a fast-paced environment. The pack shed manager will be responsible for receiving produce from the field crew and getting it ready for CSA and wholesale distribution while following food safety practices and maintaining accurate records of all harvests. The pack shed manager will manage other employees and worker shares as needed to complete tasks.
We anticipate this position working from the pack shed approximately 75% of the time during our harvest and CSA seasons. Outside of the CSA season and during the remaining 25% of their time, this position will serve as a field crew member doing an array of farm tasks.
Start date is flexible. We’re looking for someone to begin in mid-March to mid-April 2022. Season will run through November 18th, 2022.
Work hours are 8-5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Pay range is $16-18/hour based on experience.
First year benefits include a work gear stipend in the spring and access to surplus organic produce every week.
We are committed to building long-term relationships with our employees and thus provide a five-year compensation and benefits plan at hire that encourages longevity while working towards better pay and benefits for farm laborers. This plan is available upon request for applicants.
The job of the pack shed manager is basic day-to-day oversight of our pack shed processes. This includes:
Efficiently washing all produce for CSA, wholesale and bulk harvests
Packing all produce for CSA, wholesale and bulk harvests
Washing crates as needed for packing orders and storing crops
Managing any farm employees or worker shares who are assigned to wash and pack areas- this includes training, assigning tasks, and providing feedback as needed
Maintaining accurate harvest records
Ensuring all crates going into the cooler are properly labeled for wholesale, CSA or storage
Keeping cooler organized and orderly
Preparing a list of excess crops in the cooler (with total units) twice a week
Arriving early Wednesday mornings to prepare the pack area for CSA
Efficiently managing the CSA pack process to our quality standards, helping to pack boxes when time allows
Ensuring accurate orders get onto each delivery truck for both wholesale and CSA deliveries
Keeping the pack shed clean and organized
Facilitating emptying of compost, garbage and recycling
Working with farm manager or CSA manager to clean out seconds at least biweekly
Notifying farm managers of limited inventory of pack shed supplies
Outside of pack shed responsibilities, which we expect to take no more than 32 hours a week during the bulk of the season, additional responsibilities include:
Weeding and hoeing
Laying landscape fabric
Trellising tomato plants
Washing CSA crates
Other maintenance and field tasks as needed
Someone who enjoys managing many moving parts at one time while maintaining high quality standards.
Fast, hands-on learner who takes instruction well, is not afraid to ask questions, and quickly applies lessons learned to their work.
Energetic person who understands deadlines and shows up on time with a positive attitude.
Active communicator who enjoys being part of a team but is also comfortable working alone on projects.
Reliable, responsible, and self-motivated individual who is open to receiving feedback.
Individual with strong attention to detail, thorough observation skills, and ability to maintain consistent sizing standards while keeping efficiency in mind.
Not afraid of long days of physical work in all weather conditions.
Ability to lift 50 pounds is required.
Reliable transportation to the farm is also required.
Prior leadership or management experience is desirable.
Previous farming experience through preferred, is not required.
To apply for the Field Manager or Pack Shed Manager positions please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, December 17th. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.