Sustainable Solano is looking for Permaculture Landscape Designers / contractors interested in designing and leading installations of demonstration permaculture food forest gardens in Solano County through our Solano Sustainable Backyard Program.
Since 2014 we have been installing demonstration food forests throughout Solano County. These are beautiful and productive gardens that incorporate trees, build organic matter in the soil and are designed around secondary water: rainwater captured in the ground, roof water diverted to swales and laundry-to-landscape greywater. All gardens are installed by the community through educational workshops. We have been working with gifted and committed landscape professionals on these demonstration gardens. Unfortunately, many of these contractors have moved out of the area and we are looking for new designers to join our efforts.
The Permaculture Landscape Designer actively participates in site selection; designs each garden working with the homeowners (food forest keepers); and guides / educates community members to install these gardens in a series of public workshops. Additional work to finalize the site might be required (e.g. fine-tune irrigation installed by general public).
Help with site selection
Designs demonstration food forest gardens
Educates and guides the installation with the public
• Passionate about sustainable landscapes, permaculture, urban agriculture, and urban forestry and committed to spreading this knowledge to the general public
• Permaculture Design Certificate, business license and insurance are required
• Comfortable with guiding volunteers during public installations, public speaking and media visibility
• Strong knowledge of and experience with bioswales, roof water diversion, drip irrigation and L2L greywater systems
• Attention to detail, well-organized, responsive and self-motivated
• Committed to finding positive solutions
• Spanish speaking is highly desirable
Please send a letter summarizing your experience and aspirations to email@example.com with “Permaculture Landscape Designer” in the subject line.