This Permaculture Market Garden Immersion Program offers a 3-month residency (with possibility of extension). You’ll apply permaculture techniques to support our farm and holistic food systems. The program provides extensive practical opportunities to apply everything learned in a Permaculture Design Course* and Market Gardening through the day-to-day operations of a full-time functioning Permaculture farmstead.
We are a 6 acre diversified, sustainable permaculture market garden in Soquel, California in the Monterey Bay area of Northern California. We use ecologically-based, regenerative methods to grow mixed vegetables which we will offer as a CSA, thru wholesale, and at farmers’ markets. No pesticides, herbicides or chemicals of any kind are used on the farm and we practice permaculture-based, Biodynamics-inspired no-till methods in our vegetable production and orchard and pasture management. We make the majority of the compost that we use on the farm and are actively engaged in remineralizing our soil. A small, multi-species permaculture orchard is just coming into production.
Only in operation since 2016, our infrastructure is constantly evolving and this provides a great landscape for learning. We use a wide spectrum of tools appropriate to the task at hand including a tractor, a BCS walk-behind tractor, and a variety of human-powered implements and hand tools.
Animals are an integral part of our operation. Our poultry is processed humanely on-farm. Several bee hives are kept for pollination and honey production.
The internship entails about 40 hours of work per week, including Farmer’s Market for half a day on some Saturdays. Apprenticeship includes a stipend of $1,200 month. On-site residence is required in an adorable tiny home on the farm, including kitchen, living area, and bathroom. Apprentices are allowed all the organic fruits and vegetables you can eat and eggs as available.
Interns receive substantial education in all aspects of running a small-scale, diversified farm and permaculture estate, and enjoy access to a large agricultural library. If there is interest, interns can learn about all aspects of homesteading and how to set-up a market garden. Santa Cruz is a paradise for outdoors enthusiasts.
- Although prior farming experience is not strictly necessary, our apprenticeship program is designed for those with a serious professional interest in becoming a market gardener / landscaper / permaculture specialist / or homesteader. All participants are offered reduced-rate enrollment to the PDC Courses offered at our site.
- Good people skills are important—you should display a friendly, energetic and engaged demeanor when interacting with CSA members and customers at farmers markets, and be comfortable interacting and leading volunteers, student work groups and WWOOFers. Comfortable working around kids and occasionally helping with tours.
- Aside from demonstrating a strong interest in sustainable agriculture, you are our ideal candidate if you are honest, responsible, respectful and reliable.
- Occasional weekends and flexible hours
- You should be self-motivated; take pride in doing high quality work; work well with others and individually; have a good sense of humor and a desire to have fun; and be excited about living in this kind of situation.
- Able to live on the farm and commit to at least one season (3 months of work). Work-trade extension beyond this time may be possible and is based on availability and invitation.
- Finally, you should find pleasure in physically demanding work in all weather conditions, be able to lift 55 lbs, be able to stand for extended periods of time (or squat!) and have a valid driver’s license. This work is sometimes mundane, and repetitive, with some creativity we try to keep it fun.
To apply, please complete this form, including references & resume: https://goo.gl/forms/1iS1Z1leJHUc5ml23
Application Deadline – Rolling admission as position opens up seasonally.