The Policy Associate will join CalCAN’s five-member team that develops and implements state policy campaigns to advance sustainable and equitable agricultural solutions to the climate crisis. The Policy Associate will be responsible for leading CalCAN’s work on key issue areas and will represent CalCAN before the state legislature and state agencies. The position is based in Sacramento, CA.
The Policy Associate is a member of the three-person policy team and reports to CalCAN’s Policy Director to develop and implement CalCAN’s priority policy initiatives. Our policy campaigns are developed in partnership with our coalition partners, network members, and farmer and science advisory councils, and are supported by other advocacy organizations and by constituents in key legislative districts. The Policy Associate maintains a presence in Sacramento and serves as a representative of CalCAN.
CalCAN is a statewide coalition that advances policy reform to realize the powerful climate solutions of sustainable and organic agriculture. Since 2009, we have mobilized a growing network of inspiring farmer leaders to face the challenges of the climate crisis and to serve as the sustainable agriculture voice on climate change policy in California. Our work, in collaboration with coalition partners and allies, has contributed to a number of policy advancements and significant state investment, including the suite of California Climate Smart Agriculture programs, advancements in farmland conservation, on-farm renewable energy and more. For more information on CalCAN’s work, see www.calclimateag.org.
Legislative and Administrative Policy Advocacy
● Facilitate outreach to CalCAN’s network of farmers, ranchers, and science and technical advisors to identify and synthesize policy barriers and solutions.
● Assist with the strategy development and implementation of state policy campaigns on sustainable agriculture and climate change issues with CalCAN partners.
● Represent CalCAN before the state legislature and state agencies.
● Draft documents, including policy papers, testimony, advocacy materials, legislative language, and rulemaking comments relating to programs and policies that address climate change and agriculture issues.
● Assist with legislative staff briefings, advocacy day organizing, and related events.
● Communicate and coordinate with coalition partners and allied organizations.
● Represent CalCAN at conferences, hearings, and other forums as appropriate.
● Assist with network outreach and relationship-building.
Media and Communications Outreach
● Assist in the production of communications materials.
● Write for CalCAN’s blog and assist with social media.
We are looking for someone with policy experience, who is passionate about sustainable agriculture, the environment, and social justice, and who is ready to join us at a time when the imperative to tackle climate change has never been more urgent. Eligible applicants must possess the following skills and experience:
● Knowledgeable and passionate about sustainable agriculture, climate change, and equity.
● Minimum of 1-2 years of advocacy experience, with demonstrated facility with campaign strategy and tactics development and implementation.
● Basic knowledge and familiarity with the legislative and administrative policy process.
● Strong written and verbal communications and public speaking skills.
● Self-directed and collaborative work style.
● Willingness to work around a demanding legislative schedule and administrative deadlines.
● Willingness to travel periodically throughout the state as needed.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample (maximum 2 pages), and the names and contact information for three references. Note that no references will be contacted without first notifying you. Email your application to email@example.com in a single PDF attachment, addressed to Jeanne Merrill, Policy Director. The position will be open until filled. No phone calls, please.