The Program Manager will play a key role in the growth and development of FarmLink’s land, capital and farm business education programs. Serving as a direct resource to FarmLink’s three regional coordinators, the Program Manager will oversee the implementation of regional grant-funded activities, and steward a portfolio of grant awards for program growth and success. This position will also provide ongoing monitoring and evaluation of program outcomes, and assist in reporting to funders on progress.
The ideal candidate for this position will demonstrate the ability to be highly organized, contribute to a collaborative team environment, be a self-starter, and lead remote co-workers in achieving shared goals.
• Oversee the delivery of three interrelated initiatives: Wealth Building, Equity on Conservation Lands, and Resilience and Succession
• Manage execution of grant awards and contracts, delegating responsibilities to Program Coordinators as appropriate
• Oversee program staff to ensure timely performance on all grants and contracts
• Oversee development and execution of individual program staff work plans
• Oversee internal program communications with staff, contractors and clients to make sure all parties are clear on execution of awarded grant funds
• Work closely with Program Coordinators and communications staff to ensure effective client communications, in alignment with FarmLink communications goals and standards
• Coordinate the development of occasional publications/materials used in educational programs, in Spanish and English
• Monitor budget to actual reports for each of the three programs and for each grant and contract related to the three programs
• Oversee monitoring and evaluation system, and manage data collection to show how program activities align with the organizational goals described in the strategic plan
• Implement program policies and procedures to track farmer-client services
• Set and monitor progress toward yearly program goals
• Present at workshops, events and conferences in collaboration with Program Coordinators as needed
• Facilitate periodic meetings with Program Staff, and other internal committees
• Manage and guide content (land listings and land seeker profiles) and client user experience on the online land portal
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and background:
• 3+ years supervising multiple staff
• 3+ years managing programs and projects
• Small business development, real estate transaction and land leasing experience is a plus
• Strong analytical skills and judgment, with willingness to make hard decisions
• Demonstrated self-starter that can work independently, take initiative, and prioritize time wisely
• Ability to handle stressful situations with calmness and courtesy, while meeting deadlines
• Possess flexibility, creativity, patience, and a desire to have a positive impact in the world through your work
• Fluency with Microsoft Office, Google Docs, databases (Salesforce experience a plus)
• Fluency in Spanish is a plus
• Minimum undergraduate degree in business administration, finance, community development or other relevant field is required. For this position, FarmLink may also consider the equivalent combination of education and work experience.
• Highly desirable:
o Bilingual, with the ability to communicate the written and spoken word in both English and Spanish
o 5+ years experience in sustainable agriculture with deep understanding of farm business challenges, land access and financial issues
o Familiarity with USDA and federal grant programs
California FarmLink offers a generous benefits plan, including health insurance after 60 days, employer contribution to 403b retirement plan, life insurance, paid vacation, and a family-friendly and flexible work environment. California FarmLink maintains a drug-free workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We seek candidates that represent the diversity of the communities we serve, and strongly encourage you to apply.
Please email a thoughtful cover letter explaining your interest in the position and organization with resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Posted May 2019; applications accepted on a rolling basis; open until filled.