Paicines Ranch is 7500 acres of holistically managed, certified organic rangeland, cropland, vineyards, sheep and cattle located on the central coast of California. Our focus is on how to imagine, design, create and manage agricultural practices that grow and support ecosystem health, are economically viable and inspiring.
The vineyard at Paicines Ranch is a uniquely designed polyculture with a partial overhead trellis system that allows for grazing of the vines throughout the year. This eliminates the need for tillage, mowing, herbicides, suckering, hand weeding and encourages high biodiversity of plants, insects, birds and soil biology.
The vineyard intern will work closely with a small tribe of people dedicated to regenerative agriculture and will be directly involved with all aspects of the work required to care for ecosystem and vineyard health. Following is a list of some of these specific tasks:
• Training vines
• Monitoring vines for mildew and insect populations
• Tracking phenology
• Caring for sheep and guard dogs
• Assisting with sap, soil, forage and water analysis
• Trellis work
• Hand harvesting
• Gopher trapping
• Helping with spray preparations
• Mowing and weeding (in new plantings)
• Possible occasional work with livestock and farm crews
The ideal candidate will have many of the following qualities:
• Great work ethic
• Open minded
• Ability to work with others and alone
• Deep interest in regenerative/organic viticulture
• Previous experience working with grapes or similar crops
• Experience in working with livestock
• Experience with hand and power tools
• Attention to detail and quality of work
• Sense of humor
• Good physical stamina
This full-time, seasonal position will start in early April or May and go through the end of September 2022 (start and finish dates are somewhat flexible).
$15/hour. Housing is available.
Contact information for questions and to apply by sending resume: