Job Title: School Garden Activities Coordinator
Reports to: STEM Coordinator and Oregon Agriculture in the Classroom Foundation Representative and Grant Chair
Position Summary: W. Verne McKinney Elementary School (K-6th) is seeking a part-time, temporary contractor to serve as the School Garden Activities Coordinator from February 2018 to June 2019. Hours will vary, and the kind or amount of work will vary too. However applicants can expect to work an average of 17.5 hours/week (suggested days are M/T/TH) both during and after school hours over the course of their contract. Tasks will be reduced in summer, and during other school breaks. This individual will be responsible for teaching in the garden, organizing and conducting garden maintenance, arranging guest speakers, purchasing items, and coordinating with teachers and other after school instructors. The purpose of this position is to create sustainable standards-based school garden programs that are integrated into school-day and after school programs. The successful candidate will have ample experience working with children in an outdoor setting, but can expect to receive additional training and ongoing support. The start date for this position is February 2, 2018. All application materials must be submitted by January 15, 2018. Candidates contacted for an interview will be asked to prepare and teach a 10-15 minute garden lesson for kindergartners taught at the school location. All candidates must pass a background check.
Wage: $20 per hour, 10-21 hours/week during the school day hours. The first day will be February 2nd, 2018 and continue through June 2019. This part-time position does not have benefits. Upon hire, the contractor will enter into a contract for a series of duties that must be completed by certain/specific dates. The contractor will be required to fill out a W-9, which will require the contractor’s Federal Tax ID number.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Coordinate Harvest of the Month programs, guest speakers, and field trips
• Independently prepare and present NGSS and Common Core aligned garden educational programs for students in grades K-6
• Maintain and manage garden space
• Lead a seasonal after school program, collaborating with a teaching assistant
• Collaborate with school staff and project partners to ensure that the resulting program meets school needs
• Communicate schedules to participating project partners, parent volunteers and teachers
• At least 2 years of experience in education
• Basic understanding of gardening
• Demonstrated ability to successfully interact with youth 5-19 years of age
• Proven ability to work independently, without supervision, as well as collaborate on a team and with volunteers
• Experience and skill working with diverse ethnic groups and backgrounds
• Proficient in Spanish
• Proven background in science content relevant to gardening
• Experience in garden education
• Lifting or moving up to 50 pounds
• Ability to teach outside in all weather
• The contractor must be able to work and maintain three raised garden beds. Examples of required actions include hoeing, tool work, weeding, planting, transplanting, soil removal and adding soil from wheel borrow and shoveling, and modeling these actions for students.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, and are committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, and a list of names and contact information for three references familiar with your work to Kassia Rudd (Kassia.Rudd@oregonstate.edu), Washington County Programs Coordinator for Oregon Agriculture in the Classroom Foundation and Search Committee Chair Debi Lorence (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please submit all materials on or before January 15, 2018.