Bees N Blooms is seeking a full-time, seasonal (March 1 – October 1) Agricultural Operations Assistant to work on an 11-acre, CCOF-Certified Organic farm in Sonoma County just south of Santa Rosa. The farm has a diversity of integrated activities, including the production of cut flowers, lavender, vegetables, and ornamental trees. We are looking for someone with a passion for organic and sustainable farming to work full time, 40 hours per week, 5 days per week. The work involves all manner of farm tasks, including seeding, transplanting, harvesting, weeding, landscape care, livestock care, and farm maintenance. The position will also involve assisting with setup and takedown for events, and occasional help at the Bees N Blooms farm stand. Weekend work will be an essential part of the job during the open-farm season (mid-April through October 1). Anticipated start date: March 1, 2019 or as soon thereafter as possible.
The team member will be involved with all aspects of the organic farm, including, but not limited to:
• Starting and transplanting seedlings, bulbs, other plants
• Caring for plants in the field and greenhouse
• Maintenance of crop beds and nursery space, including tree nursery
• Irrigation system monitoring and repair
• Weeding, mowing, trapping, and other pest management activities
• Harvesting and processing the harvest (cut flowers, lavender, vegetables)
• Caring for ducks and chickens
• General farm maintenance
• Interacting with farm visitors to help them enjoy their visit and learn about the farm
• Flexibility to assist in other farm projects, such as honey bee care, staffing the Bees N Blooms on-site farm stand, and assisting with events
Some flexibility in hours is possible. Weekend work will be required.
• Preferably one year of previous work with plants (nursery, vegetables, vineyards, orchards, etc.)
• Ability to maintain a professional and positive attitude
• Enjoys interacting with farm visitors
• Self-motivated, taking initiative to recognize and implement tasks that need to be done
• Able to maintain a lively pace of work each day
• Strong attention to detail and organization
• Ability to multi-task
• Interest in learning new skills
• Ability to work independently, as well as in a team setting.
• Ability to work under challenging ergonomic conditions, including frequent crouching, bending, and kneeling
• Ability to lift loads of 50 lbs, such as bags of concrete and trees in pots
• Willing and able to work outside in all weather
• Must have a work visa or be a U.S. citizen
• Must speak English well. Spanish language is a plus.
Please send a resume by email to email@example.com describing your experience and providing the names and contact information for two references who are familiar with your work. Please include a short paragraph or two in your cover letter or email describing why this position is of interest to you and why you think it might be a good fit with your goals and aspirations. If a good match seems possible, we will ask you for a phone interview, followed by a visit to the Bees N Blooms farm. To ensure your application will be fully considered, please submit by January 31, 2019. Applications received after this date will be considered if an appropriate candidate has not yet been found.