The Seed Cleaning Technician (Technician) will be responsible for the processing and cleaning of all native seed produced by the nursery for use in natural land restoration. The Technician’s time will predominantly be spent at the seed cleaning site located in South Thurston County, but may also be split among CNLM’s farms and nursery sites in South Thurston county. During seed cleaning season (July to March), tasks include seed cleaning using an array of specialized equipment and machinery, development of seed cleaning techniques and data management. During the field season (April to June), tasks may include all aspects of farm labor, collection and processing of native plant seed, sowing and maintaining native plant plugs, weeding, and site maintenance. The Technician will work with and occasionally lead a team consisting of staff, partner agencies, contractors and volunteers.
This position entails a high-level of responsibility and interpersonal skills, sound work ethic, and positive attitude during long field days. Development of positive and effective relationships with volunteers and partners is critical. The Technician must also be able to work independently frequently, completing substantial tasks without direct supervision. Problem solving, excellent organizational skills, and mechanical aptitude are necessary for this position. The nursery program is science based and the Technician will be required to document and appropriately file all data pertinent to the operations on a regular basis.
The Technician is expected to be an integral member of the CNLM’s South Sound Program. They will become a staff information source on plant propagation, seed production, and processing. In addition, the Technician will be available to conduct additional restoration and conservation work in the area. This may include activities such as: weed control with herbicides, training and participation as part of a prescribed fire crew, and administrative duties.
• Oversee and complete cleaning and processing of wild-collected and field-raised native plant seed.
• Maintain and repair seed cleaning equipment and machinery.
• Document daily activities including precise tracking of seed lots and farm labor
• Assist with and conduct seed production and processing at field scales
• Seed and maintain native plant plugs in the greenhouse
• Establish, maintain, and harvest fields of native plants needed for seed production; occasionally assist with the collection of native seed in the wild
• Assist with development of species propagation and seed production techniques
• Work collaboratively with resource agencies, consultants, and other conservation organizations
• Fulfill other duties as assigned
Labor crew experience. Farm labor experience highly desirable. Experience with seed production a plus.
There are no educational or experience requirements, as the technician will receive substantial on-site technical training, however experience with native plants of the Pacific Northwest is highly desirable, and ability to operate and understand the specialized machines independently after training is required.
Please visit https://www.cnlm.org/donate-get-involved/opportunities/ and follow instructions for the Seed Cleaning Technician.