Seed to Table Educator (AmeriCorps State)
Term of Service Dates: October 1, 2021 -August 1, 2022
Under the direction of the Youth Programs Director, the Seed to Table Educator will collaborate with Youth Garden Project (YGP) staff, community partners, and Grand County High School to lead young adults in a variety of youth programs at YGP. We are looking for an individual who is flexible, collaborative, able to work independently, exhibits strong leadership, and is enthusiastic about using the garden and process of growing food to teach academic and life lessons to youth of all ages and backgrounds.
● End of service award ($6,196 education award)
● Annual stipend of: $15,100
● AmeriCorps members will be certified in CPR and First Aid; certification opportunity will be provided if applicant is not already certified
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Seed to Table Educator is responsible for the development, scheduling, leading, and assessment of youth program activities in the following areas:
Grand County High School Programs
● Collaborate with the Career and Technical Education (CTE) Director to partner and meet department agriculture education needs
● Build on and teach two trimester-long agricultural/garden education-based high school courses, during which students will come to the garden five days a week for class
● Design and implement possible internship experiences through the CTE Work-Based Learning program
● Work with SPED teacher(s) to create and facilitate lesson plans on a regular basis
● Act as liaison for any and all interested teachers to incorporate garden-based education with their curricula including, but not limited to: Foods & Nutrition, Food Sciences, Natural Resources, Plant & Soil Science, etc.
Seed Crew (Summer Youth Development & Job-Training Program for 14-18 year olds)
● Improve and continue development of the overall structure of Seed Crew in its’ fourth year!
● Help recruit applicants, conduct interviews, and hire at least two Seed Crew members.
● Co-train, manage, and mentor participants throughout the duration of the summer (9 weeks)
Nibble Garden & Sensory/Snack Garden Spaces
● Collaborate with YGP staff to amend garden rows & raised beds, direct sow or transplant, harvest, and generally maintain these production spaces; incorporating youth involvement as much as possible.
Other Youth Program Duties
● Build relationships with the schools and teachers in addition to families of program attendees
● Help the Youth Programs Crew implement middle school programs as needed
● Develop & administer program evaluations and interpret data with Youth Programs Director
● Track numbers and compile other data for reporting & grant writing purposes
General YGP Responsibilities
● Assist with YGP community and fundraising events occasionally beyond normal work hours
● AmeriCorps members are expected to work 40 hours per week; all YGP staff are required to work some weekend and evening hours in order to participate in special events, fundraisers, and garden chores.
Desired Skills and Experience:
● Hands-on agricultural experience and general knowledge preferred
● Experience working directly with youth in school and/or school-garden settings, designing curriculum, and/or working in non-traditional education spaces
● Strengths in time management, prioritizing and delegating tasks, multi-tasking, general ability to work collaboratively in a fast paced work environment
● Advanced verbal and written communication skills with external and internal audiences across all populations and ability to communicate effectively with YGP staff and community members
● Highly organized through prep and execution of programs including data collection, participation tracking, and evaluation
● Record of sound job performance and project management based on results
1. E-mail a brief cover letter and an attached resume with three professional references to email@example.com.
2. Applicants will also have to apply through the AmeriCorps State website upon hire - starting a profile on the AmeriCorps State website will help expedite the process.