Status: Full Time, Exempt
Reports To: Program Manager
Supervisory: Not Applicable
Primary Office: Aptos, CA (with flexibility to work remotely due to COVID-19 workplace policies)
Salary: $50,000 – $70,000, commensurate with experience
California FarmLink invests in the prosperity of farmers and ranchers through lending, education, and access to land. FarmLink envisions a healthy food system where farmers and ranchers have equitable opportunities to build wealth and conserve natural resources. We value equitable access to opportunity, resilient working landscapes, fairness and accountability, and learning from diverse farmers and ranchers. As a non-profit Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), FarmLink has established one of the nation’s most robust economic engines to grow sustainable, small farm businesses heralding from low-income rural communities throughout California.
The Senior Associate is a critical member of FarmLink’s Land Access and Farm Business Education Program team, consisting of land tenure experts, farm business educators and technical assistance providers. This position will primarily help develop and execute FarmLink’s “Wealth Building” Strategic Initiative, an approach that integrates land and capital access with business training to support success among Latina and Latino entrepreneurs in Central Coast communities. The Senior Associate will assist with developing and conducting both Spanish- and English-language adult education programs for small business owners and emerging farm entrepreneurs, and work one-on-one with farmers to approach business challenges related to land tenure and capital management. Serving as an initial “point of contact” for farmers and landholders in the Central Coast and Central Valley, the Senior Associate will manage relationships with farmers by assessing their business goals and priorities, and facilitating technical assistance tailored to farmer needs, from FarmLink’s land and capital access teams.
LAND ACCESS AND LAND LINKING
● Provide farmers and ranchers with information on land leasing, land purchasing/sales and alternative
land tenure options;
● Assist farmers with negotiating secure, fair leases and finding land for lease or sale; facilitate support to
resolve tenure-related issues that may arise between farmers and landowners;
● Assist in maintaining and updating an online hub of land for lease or sale and in connecting landowners
● Outreach to and educate landholders about what it means to lease land to a farmer and help both
parties to set and manage expectations;
● Create and update resources that will support farmers and landholders in the process of seeking and
leasing land, farm purchase/sale, and succession planning; and
● Maintain records of client interactions using Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software,
including Salesforce and Outcome Tracker.
EDUCATION AND OUTREACH
● In coordination with farm business experts, assist with adult education program and content
development, including curriculum design, lesson planning, and program evaluation;
● Organize and present group education offerings at workshops, seminars, and conferences--in person
● Maintain and cultivate a network of experienced farm service professionals, including attorneys, CPAs,
family communications specialists, realtors, insurance providers, and business consultants; who can act
as referral partners for clients and assist in educational programs;
● Provide farmers with information on farm financing options including FarmLink’s loan program,
preparing for financing, and credit education;
● Outreach to agricultural landholders and landholding institutions (i.e. regional land trusts) to increase
FarmLink’s capacity to offer quality land opportunities;
● Outreach to beginning and underserved farmers to increase awareness of FarmLink programs;
● Collaborate with existing partner organizations and staff to provide holistic support for producers across
● Contribute to communications that highlight program accomplishments and client narratives.
● Ability to communicate the spoken and written word in both Spanish and English, with excellent
presentation skills in both Spanish and English.
● Ability to provide excellent customer service to clients, via phone, email and in-person.
● Good organizational skills, exceptional attention to detail, well disciplined, meets deadlines, and a selfstarter.
● Ability to handle multiple tasks and frequent interruptions.
● Ability to handle stressful situations with calmness and courtesy, while meeting deadlines.
● Demonstrated experience in project management, including “solutions-oriented” problem solving to
execute project activities toward timely and successful completion.
● Knowledge and experience using MS Word, Excel and Google Suite tools, as well as basic accounting
procedures. Knowledge and experience using CRM software (i.e. Salesforce) a plus.
● 2-4 years of experience handling personal/business financial information with the appropriate
discretion, ideally in a farm business setting.
● Minimum Associate Degree (B.S. a plus) in business administration, agriculture, community
development, environmental studies or other related field, or the equivalent combination of education
and work experience.
● Familiarity with agriculture, real estate, agricultural/small business lending, US Department of
Agriculture programs, and/or community development finance experience a plus.
Please email a thoughtful cover letter explaining your interest in the position and the organization, along with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org No phone calls please. Applications accepted on a rolling basis; position open until filled; priority screening date is October 8, 2020.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position, and includes a six-month introductory or probationary period. California FarmLink offers a generous benefits plan, including health insurance after 60 days, employer contribution to a 403b retirement plan after one year, life insurance, paid vacation, and a family-friendly and flexible work environment. California FarmLink maintains a drug-free workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We seek candidates that represent the diversity of the communities we serve, and strongly encourage you to apply.