Meadowood Farms is a 225-acre farm in Upstate
New York, raising dairy sheep, steers, and market
lambs in a pasture-based system, and producing
milk for our own branded sheeps-milk cheeses.
Milking and general farm duties. Meadowood Farms has
seasonal production, and therefore the duties are very seasonal:
• Late-March through mid-May: lambing out 120 ewes and start of milking those ewes
• Late March and early May: lambing out 35 hoggets (1st
-timers) and training them to
• Late March through late October: milking 150 ewes and sending milk to processor
• April/May: purchasing new weanling steers
• April through November: pasture management and care of milking ewes, steers, and
lambs on pasture
• March through October: livestock management, including deworming and vaccination,
illness treatment, and weighing for harvest
• September through October: analysis of ewes’ production and conformation, preparing
ewes for breeding (including using AI)
• October and November: breeding ewes, sales of market lambs and finished steers,
readying the farm for winter
The farm internship will begin ~ March 15th, and will continue through mid-November.
❖ Duties will include all aspects of farm activities, including milking, livestock husbandry, pasture
management. Interns will learn basics of machinery operation (skid steer and tractor).
❖ Farm interns will work full time and will have every other weekend off. We try to set milking
schedules that reflect all staff’s preferences (i.e., morning vs evening milking),
❖ Compensation includes housing and a stipend commensurate with experience.
Please communicate your interest in our farm internship position by sending a resume and cover
letter telling us why you are interested in the position, to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line
“Farm Internship 2018”. Interested applicants are encouraged to visit the farm if at all possible.