Staff Farmers report to the Director of Farm Operations and assist in the cultivation, maintenance, harvest and operation of the Howard Street Farm by implementing the crop plan and facilitating the smooth operation of the farm. This position may be called upon to assist with The Talking Farm’s offsite educational gardens and farmers’ markets in Evanston and Northern Chicago. This part-time, seasonal position requiring approximately 20 hours/week for 20 weeks. This seasonal position starts in early June and runs through the end of October (some weekends may be required).
• Implement crop plan as directed by the Director of Farm Operations
• Responsible for seeding, planting, cultivating, weeding, watering, managing pests, harvesting, composting, washing, processing and packaging vegetable, fruit and herb crops, and/or winterizing the Howard Street Farm and off-site educational gardens
• Help oversee, lead/or and train interns and volunteers
• Create a positive team environment for other staff, interns and volunteers around farm and garden activities
• Interact positively with members of the public and donors who visit and/or volunteer on the farm, and with off-site program partners
• Work closely with Director of Operations and Marketing Manager on projecting upcoming harvests and anticipating crop availability
• Responsible for daily and routine upkeep and maintenance of the farm and educational gardens, as well as equipment and facilities.
• Provide tours and media content
• Assist in set-up, execution and clean-up for fundraising events
• Assist the Executive Director, Director of Operations, Director of Education and Programming, and Market Manager as directed
• At least 1 year/growing season experience with gardening, urban farming or conventional farming.
• The ability to take direction, be flexible, learn new farming and growing techniques and communicate and explain farming practices clearly to others.
• A friendly and open disposition and a willingness to work in a team to help teach volunteers and interns about urban farming.
• Physical requirements: Ability to lift up to 30 pounds; bend and crouch; walk on uneven surfaces, use hands and arms to pick/pull/grasp; see at close range, as well as at a distance; hear and speak to communicate with staff, volunteers, students and the public; and work outdoors in all types of weather.
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com