The strategic initiatives team works creatively to build collaborative connections between the private and public sectors that accomplish the goals of our farmer members on the broader Iowa and Midwestern landscape. The strategic initiatives coordinator will support that team by:
1). facilitating effective, persuasive farmer-to-farmer promotion of cover crop and small-grain practices
2). providing agronomic counseling in cover crop consultations with cost-share program participants and responding to farmer cover crop questions
3). coordinating field work and data collection
4). monitoring grant deliverable progress
5). attending cover crop and small grains events in Iowa and the Midwest
6). writing articles, blogs and other outreach on cover crops for Practical Farmers and for distribution in other farm-related outlets.
Practical Farmers offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for independent initiative and professional development.
• Lead the development and coordination of a grassroots network of cover crop and small-grain farmer-advocates by:
o recruiting and training farmers in effective communication and presentation tactics
o discovering local and regional meetings and matching farmer advocates from the network to these opportunities
o supporting farmers in developing and honing their presentation message and audiovisual aids
o developing content and coordinating with PFI’s communications team to create webpages with resources for farmers and groups looking to learn about cover crops and small grains
o soliciting speaking opportunities for farmers and tracking outcomes from these meetings.
o This position will work closely with PFI’s farmer outreach coordinator to ensure effective farmer-speaker management across the whole organization
• Plan and staff field days, conference sessions, speaker boot camps and informal gatherings to build the base of farmer-advocates and create community around cover crop and small grains practices. Support other organizations and stakeholders in developing high-quality events as needed.
• Conduct cover crop consultations with beginning and advanced cover croppers to determine best management practices for their farm goals. Respond to agronomic questions from farmers about cover crops.
• Coordinate PFI’s small-grain variety trials at research stations and on farms, including:
o Organizing stakeholders to select varieties that will be trialed
o Coordinating seed procurement and recruiting farmers to participate in trials
o Designing protocols for trials, gathering data from farmers for on-farm trials and submitting data for analysis
o Depending on the candidate’s background and interests, potentially helping with data analysis and report writing
• Write, edit and proof blogs, articles and promotional materials.
• Support other team members in data collection, data entry and grant reporting as needed.
• Support general field crops program activities.
• Other duties as assigned
This position requires some travel (mostly in Iowa), a valid driver’s license, the ability to lift 50 pounds and the ability to walk long distances.
• Experience with public relations and other general communication skills required
• Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel required
• Ability to work efficiently and accurately in a fast-paced team environment
• Ability and passion to communicate effectively with farmers, farm leaders, staff, media, agribusiness and non-farmers, including public speaking
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Meticulous attention to detail and high organizational ability
• Flexible and adaptable
• Ability to work independently and within a team
• Motivated and a self-starter
• A background in agronomy, crop science, watershed program coordination, ag education, ag communication or similar natural resources field is required. A master’s degree is preferred, but we will consider candidates who have relevant education and experience – including those with either a bachelor’s degree or two year’s work experience in any of those areas.
• Two years of professional office experience preferred
Please apply by sending a cover letter, resume and references to Alisha Bower at email@example.com by Sunday, April 26, 2020.