The Summer Caretaker will assist the Farm & Facilities Manager and help maintain the farm site over the summer while student programs are not in session and while our high school summer program, volunteer days, and donor events are happening. The position is ideal for someone who is experienced with maintenance, and who is handy, physical, detail-oriented, thorough, motivated, versatile and flexible.
• This is a 16 hr/week, part-time position in exchange for housing.
• Additionally, for the right applicant, paid hours may be available, up to 40 hrs/week at a rate of $13.50/hour.
• Large private bedroom with closet, storage space, washer/dryer, and a shared living room/kitchen. Access to community hot tub, trails, and creek; in a secluded rural setting.
• Shared food from the garden, eggs from the chickens, milk from the goats.
Site: Vida Verde’s farm site is located at 3540 La Honda Road, San Gregorio, CA 94074. This is a 25-acre property along San Gregorio Creek, 1 hour from San Francisco, 45 minutes from Santa Cruz, and 5 minutes from the coast. The nearest town is Half Moon Bay, which is 15 miles away.
Term of work:
● June 8th–August 17th, 2020
● Weekly schedule will be determined with the Facilities & Farm Manager upon hire. A consistent weekly schedule is required, with a preference for morning and weekend availability.
Summer Caretaker Responsibilities
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Weekend Duty: Each weekend one caretaker or the FFM is on animal/greenhouse duty for about 3 hours/weekend, on a rotating basis.
• Goat care: milking, feeding, browsing, pasture care.
• Chicken care: feeding, cleaning coop, collecting eggs.
• Housing renovation: light carpentry, painting, landscaping, road work
• Landscaping: Mowing lawns, weeding, trimming/weed-eating, pruning, fence repair.
• Garden Tasks: weeding, sowing seeds, transplanting, shaping beds, fixing irrigation.
• Prepping the site for donor visits and events.
• Recycling, compost, and landfill duties (including site cleanliness).
• Cleaning and maintaining community hot tub.
• Assistance hosting volunteer groups and leading projects.
Qualifications of a strong applicant
• Inspired by the Vida Verde mission.
• Responsible and reliable.
• Positive attitude
• Experience with maintenance, livestock, gardening, and the outdoors.
• Able to work outside, standing or kneeling for long periods; can lift 50+ lbs.
• Able to follow directives and work unsupervised.
• Versatile and organized; attentive to cleanliness and detail.
• Committed to excellence and full of integrity.