Dates: May 25th, 2022 — August 19th, 2022 (with some flexibility)
Compensation: $15/hour, average 40 hours/week, M-F
Location: 530 S 400 E. Moab, UT 84532 (housing option available)
The Youth Garden Project (YGP) is a non-profit organization located in the beautiful red rock country of Moab, UT. Our mission is to “cultivate healthy children, families, and community through educational programs and connecting people with food from seed to table.” The garden is located on 1.5 acres adjacent to the high school and Mill creek, includes three outdoor classroom spaces, a chicken cook, a historic building which serves as our office, a commercial kitchen, a rabbit enclosure, two greenhouses, over 80 garden beds, and a fruit tree orchard.
We are looking for individuals interested in working as educators in a hands-on, outdoor setting to implement our nine-week Summer Camp program. YGP Summer Camp provides much needed hands-on, high-quality child care for 1st – 6th graders during the summer break. Spend your summer in a garden in Moab getting to know some of the youngest members of our wonderful community!
Compensation & Other Benefits:
• $15/hour, with an average 40-hour work week (M-F)
• Up to $100 reimbursed for relocation expenses (receipts required)
• Summer instructors are allotted 1 day of paid vacation and 2 sick days.
• YGP has optional in-town housing for instructors at a reduced rent rate. If selected, housing will be deducted from pay at a rate of $275/month for a shared bedroom. Housing is a 2BR, 1BA apartment which includes a washer/dryer, furniture, beds, kitchen utensils, and utilities. No pets allowed.
• The instructors will have access to farm fresh produce as part of our staff CSA share and through produce discounts.
• Instructors will be qualified for employer healthcare and dental benefits the 1st of the month after one month of employment.
• Office is closed on Memorial Day and July 4th.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Four instructors will work as a cohesive team to run our nine-week Summer Camp program.
• Instructors will receive an in-depth training prior to leading camp on working with kids of different age groups in an outdoor setting.
• All instructors will plan, organize, and lead Summer Camp with guidance and support from the Youth Programs Director. Daily Summer Camp responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
o Ensure overall smoothness of the Summer Camp day including safety of campers
o Prepare materials for activities and snacks
o Manage groups of children while building relationships/rapport with them
o Teach two-three activities per day with co-instructors and facilitate free play
o Encourage campers to learn, have fun, and connect with the garden
o Communicate with parents/guardians
• Each instructor will play a role in the instruction and development of Summer Camp weeks. This includes, but is not limited to:
o Helping create experiential, fun, and educational activities related to each Summer Camp theme
o Assisting with creating lesson plans for activities, as needed
o Providing positive and constructive feedback to co-workers
o Participate in debriefs to provide reflection on day-to-day activities
• Instructors must be at least 18 at the start of the season. Background check required.
• Instructors will work 40 hours per week on average during the summer (M-F). The majority of the work day is spent working directly with elementary-aged kids.
• Instructors should expect to be outside the majority of the day, in all-weather types.
• Instructors must be certified in CPR and First Aid; certification opportunity will be provided if applicant is not already certified.
• Instructors should be a positive and enthusiastic team member throughout the duration of the summer.
• Responsible and reliable
• Works well independently and in a team setting
• Demonstrates a strong work ethic and enthusiasm for the YGP mission
• Interest in experiential education and a desire to work with children
• Problem solver who is flexible and able to improvise
Please e-mail a brief cover letter and an attached resume with 1-3 references (that can speak to your experience working with kids or other job duties) to Youth Programs Director, Erin Vick, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application is open until filled.