Immediate opening for someone looking for an inspiring, fun filled summer with youth!!
Description: Hart-to-Hart Farm Day Camp is seeking qualified individuals to design & teach sustainable agriculture & environmental lessons utilizing our gardens, farm, fields, forest and ponds. Educators/counselors collaborate to inspire and engage campers’ ages 5 – 16 to build a lifelong, meaningful relationship with the natural world on an organic farm. Campers participate in farm chores, gardening, cooking as well as a wide range of environmental and agricultural activities. Highlight: each camper adopting special farm animal. Goal: have fun while making a difference in the lives of young people through inquiry-based learning.
Site Description: Located on a 285-acre organic dairy. Site includes historic barn, out buildings for chickens, goats, sheep, horses, rabbits and a free stall barn which is home to 130 dairy cows. Scenic pastures, organic gardens and orchard, ponds, wetlands, forest, and farm provide an idea camp setting to explore.
Responsible for all aspects of camp life: classroom preparation, participating in morning circle; running animal, craft, and gardening activities; overseeing snack and lunch time. Day starts at 7:00 am and ends around 5:00 pm or when prep work finished for the next day. Some weekend prep work may be required.
Plan and co-lead daily “hands-on”, inquiry-based programs. Topics include but not limited to animal care and feeding, gardening, sustainability, insects, birds, soil science, freshwater ecology, wetland ecology, forest ecology, art, cooking. Topics taught through exploration, games, art, songs and stories.
One overnight outing with campers attending Farm Extravaganza and Farm Explorer.
Participate in staff trainings, staff meetings, community chores and miscellaneous maintenance duties to contribute to the ongoing improvement of the camp
Role model healthy living, positive energy, clear communication and good stewardship of the environment.
* Follow and enforce all camp policies, rules and regulations
Provide first aid to campers according to camp policy
Deal with any behavioral needs and issues in a positive and supportive way
Reset and clean camp space, bathrooms, and kitchen as a team at the end of each day and session
Supervise JCIT who are assigned to your group
* Experience working with children ages 5 -16 years of age in an outdoor setting
* Creative, enthusiastic, team player, flexible, excellent communication skills, a good sense of humor, self-motivated and strong work ethic.
* A willingness to get dirty, hike, work with farm animals and dig in the garden
* Knowledge in sustainable farming / gardening and/or environment education (strengths can be in one or the other – animal husbandry a bonus)
* Physically able to lift 50 pounds
* First Aid and CPR certification
* 18 years of age, priority given to those who completed 1st year of college or alternative program / experience
To Apply: Send cover letter, current resume and application for employment (found on web site https://hart2hartfarm.org/summer-camp-job-opportunity/ ) to Linda Hartkopf, Director, Hart-to-Hart Farm & Education Center, 16 Duck Pond Land, Albion, ME 04910 or email to email@example.com