The Extension Technical Assistant serves as a temporary, part-time/full-time 11-month technician with the primary responsibility for serving the needs of the Small Farm Unit in Goldsboro, NC, in the development and delivery of research and educational programs supporting the mission of the Center for Environmental Farming Systems (CEFS) and the Cooperative Extension at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University. The Technical Assistant supports the core mission of CEFS and Cooperative Extension which focus on one or more of the following interdisciplinary initiatives: vegetable productions and management; Agribusiness, Farm Financial Analysis, and Marketing; General Horticulture, and Food Systems.
The Technical Assistant is expected to work collaboratively with the project Principal Investigator, Small Farm Unit manager, as well as other partners. Close collaboration with Horticulture and Natural Resources Extension Programs is required. The Technical Assistant is expected to provide support for the year-round vegetable production and management, field maintenance, and other farming related tasks as required.
Small Farm Unit Operation experiences:
· Assist with establishing and maintaining applied research projects and demonstrations
related to small farms
· Assist with producer and extension agent training for stakeholders
· In collaboration with the Small Farm Unit manager to complete tasks such as mowing,
seeding, transplanting, weeding, soil testing, harvesting, and consistent data collection and
· Help with demonstrations and outreach to Counties
· Help assemble educational notebooks, cookbooks, and other training related materials
1. 1-3 years of commercial farming experiences including field operations, greenhouse
operations, and high tunnel operations
2. Sufficient Horticulture knowledge, background, and education
3. Able to lift 50-70 pounds
4. Able to complete maintenance and light construction works
5. Able to operate farming equipment (tractor and attachments, zero-turn mower, gator, weed
eater, tiller, flame weeder,etc.)
6. Able and willing to work in the open field under weather variations
7. Able and willing to work over weekends when needed
8. Able to use Microsoft EXCEL, WORD, PowerPoint, and other computer software to complete
data entry and data analysis.
You must complete and submit an electronic application for employment to be considered. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application. Applicants seeking Veteran’s Preference must attach a DD 214 form. Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty with your application during the process of applying to the job posting. Final candidates are subject to criminal and sex offender background checks. North Carolina A&T State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. North Carolina A&T State University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. No one who applies or seeks employment will be denied admission to or employment at North Carolina A&T State University on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disabling condition, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or sexual orientation and sexual identity.