We seek an energetic and motivated individual who is not only a smart, tough, resourceful, detail-oriented team player, but also has the interest and skills to lead a crew of similar folks. The ideal applicant will have excellent communication skills, enjoy being in a leadership role, and have strong skills in vegetable production and experience, or at least strong interest in, small farm equipment and techniques, like growing on plastic mulch, using Planet Junior walk behind tractors as well as Farmalls, flame weeding, irrigation systems and etc. The ideal person will be able to self-manage weekly tasks according to our planting calendars and be able to identify and work with other management persons to make sure fields are ready, needed supplies are available, and delegate, assign and overseas all production related tasks to our field crew. The Field Production Manager will work closely and collaboratively with the Harvest Manager, Packing Shed Manager, Farm Manager and of course, Farmer Georgie. The Field Production Manager also will work closely with our longtime equipment/mechanic on tractor and equipment related issues.
• Oversee all seeding, greenhouse growing, transplanting and weeding tasks following seeding and planting charts. Including weekly and daily management of crew, instructing as to what tasks will be completed that day.
• Work with and oversee field crew duties, providing training and setting pace with crew as needed.
• Run a weekly meeting with all crew to review upcoming tasks, discuss concerns and and address any needed issues.
• Oversee Tractor and Irrigation specialist, communicating often on needed tasks and issues.
• Work with Harvest Manager and Packing shed manager on harvest days, as needed and under their direction, to provide additional leadership and harvest experience to less experienced harvest crew.
• Communicate to George any crew concerns, issues and needs that cannot be dealt with directly by oneself.
• Communicate with farm managers and Georgie on a daily basis, as well as communicate by cell phone
• Be willing to cross train in most farm tasks so as to fill in and/or train others as necessary and act as stand-in in case of absences.
• Have basic knowledge and understanding of small farm tractors and equipment, or willingness to learn, to occasionally fill in with needed tractor field work.
• Provide education to field crew via your experience in form of daily and weekly explanation and implementation of tasks. Also, with other management crew, plan a once a month “educational” meeting for entry level farm crew
•At least 2 year farm experience on market vegetable farm. 1 additional year in any sort of farm work. At least one of those years worked in a management or leadership position of some sort, preferably managing at least 3 or more persons..
•Desire to lead the work of others.
•Demonstrated leadership experience.
•Current driver’s license and good driving record.
•2 years (full calendar years) experience on market vegetable farm plus1 year assistant management experience on market vegetable farm. •Familiarity with organic production systems. Knowledge of many other aspects of diversified vegetable farming, including but not limited to nursery work, transplanting, weeding, hoeing, irrigation systems, carpentry, plumbing, tractor operation and mechanics are also highly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
•Knowledge and skill in all aspects of organic, diversified vegetable production •Ability to motivate others to work well under difficult external conditions.
•Desire to work well and professionally with all kinds of people.
•Aptitude for good judgment and spur-of-the-moment decision making.
•Ability to make work fun and a great sense of humor!
•Excellent verbal communication skills.
•Ability to multi-task in an organized manner.
•Ability to balance connecting with the farm crew and the management crew.
•Ability to manage temporary workers and take responsibility for their performance.
•Excellent teaching skills.
•Attention to detail with the capacity to maintain awareness of the big picture and larger farm goals. •Ability to be flexible.
•Ability and desire to learn Willowood Farm systems and standards and translate those to others.
•Ability to give and receive positive and negative feedback in a professional manner.
Please go to https://willowoodfarm.wordpress.com/2018-job-listings-as-of-11-14-17/ for more information on the position and to download an application.
Or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org