Front Porch Farm is a 110-acre organic farm located on the Russian River just 10 minutes from downtown Healdsburg in Northern California. A diverse market farm, Front Porch grows a wide array of vegetable crops, heritage grains, fruit trees, wine grapes, and specialty cut flowers. At our neighboring property—Acorn Ranch—we also raise heritage pork and lamb. With ecological farming principles at the heart of what we do, we strive to be responsible stewards of the land.
The vegetable program at Front Porch is responsible for up to 10 acres of annual and perennial vegetables and fruit. We are committed to exceptionally high quality product, crop diversity, and growing practices that build and nurture the soil. The Vegetable Program Assistant Manager will work directly with the Program Manager to execute the vegetable production and sales plan. In addition, they will act as a liaison between the field crew and the manager. Our goal is to offer a high level of autonomy to this position, including the ability to make day to day decisions, develop and deepen their skills, and continue to grow with the farm. Given the seasonal nature of farming, the assistant manager will be expected to work the hours required to get the job done. We tend to work 50-60 hrs/week during the peak of the season, including some weekends, and 20-30 hours during the off season, during which extended vacation time is encouraged.
This is a full-time, year-round position, with a minimum 2-year commitment.
Competitive hourly pay, paid vacation, continuing education opportunities, and all the produce you can eat. Details to be negotiated at time of offer and are based on the candidate's skills and experience. Position is available ASAP; interviews will be held in December and January.
- Assist with the growing, harvesting, irrigating, packing, and selling of organic vegetable crops
- Oversee and/or manage the washing and packing of produce for markets and orders
- Make weekly deliveries in the farm van
- Work occasional farmer’s markets (typically on weekends)
- Attend and participate in farm meetings and events as required
- Cultivate an environment based on a strong work ethic, with clear communication and a commitment to following through on all tasks
- Act as an ambassador for the farm, on-site and in the community
- Extensive harvest experience: knows the fundamentals of harvesting many different vegetable and fruit crops with speed and efficiency
- In-depth knowledge of post-harvest handling and crop storage, etc.
- Attention to detail and organizational skills
- Minimum 2 years diversified organic vegetable production experience strongly preferred
- Willingness to work weekends and staff farmer’s markets
- The ability to maintain a positive attitude, have fun, and collaborate with the rest of the farm team in a fast moving and high pressure environment
- Experience, willingness, and interest in overseeing a crew of 3-5 people
- Basic Spanish language skills
- Able to lift 50+ pounds, bend lift, crouch for long periods of time in all weather conditions
- Clean driving record and valid license
- Sales and marketing experience
- Experience working in or managing a greenhouse/nursery
- Experience with building and managing various irrigation systems
- Mechanical aptitude and experience operating farm equipment and driving tractors
- Willing to cheer on or participate in the farm’s softball team!