The Youth Garden Project (YGP) is a non-profit organization located in the red rock country of Moab, UT. Our mission is to cultivate healthy children, families, and community through educational programs and connecting people with food from seed to table. We are looking for individuals interested in working as an educator in a hands-on, outdoor setting within a variety of our elementary educational programs. In the summer, four instructors collaborate to implement our nine-week Summer Camp program, designing and facilitating the activity plans for camp. During the fall, we facilitate two After-School Programs, teach 90-minute Garden Classroom Field Trips, and provide a Fall Break Camp—all of which will be facilitated primarily by two instructors.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Four interns will work as a cohesive team to run our nine-week Summer Camp program.
• Interns will receive an in-depth training prior to leading camp; including behavior management techniques, discipline policies, and more.
• All interns will plan, organize, and lead Summer Camp with guidance and support from the Youth Programs Director. Daily Summer Camp responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
o Ensure overall smoothness of the Summer Camp day including safety of campers
o Enforce YGP discipline policies with campers
o Prepare materials for activities and snacks
o Manage groups of children while building relationships/rapport with them
o Teach two-three 45 minute activities per day with co-instructors
o Encourage campers to learn, have fun, and connect with the garden
o Communicate with parents/guardians regarding campers’ behavior
• Each intern will play a role in the instruction and development of Summer Camp weeks. This includes, but is not limited to:
o Creating experiential, fun, and educational activities related to each Summer Camp theme
o Submitting detailed activity plans for review
o Sharing and coaching co-instructors in regards to your activities
o Providing positive and constructive feedback to co-workers
• Plan and lead garden-based activities for two After-School Programs.
• Develop and facilitate garden-based activities for Fall Break Camp.
• Teach Garden Classroom Field Trips for all Grand County students (Preschool-6th grades) using YGP’s curriculum. During a Garden Classroom, each intern will teach approximately 12 students (half of a class) for 90 minutes.
Co-facilitate any Middle and High School workshops or class visits with the rest of the Youth Programs team, as needed.
• Interns are expected to work 45 hours per week on average during the summer (M-F, 8am-5pm) and 35 hours per week on average during the fall (M-F, hours varies).
• The majority of the work day, especially during the summer season, is spent working directly with kids.
• Interns should expect to be outside the majority of the day, in all weather types.
• YGP is involved in a series of local community events and fundraisers that interns will be required to work or attend outside of the normal work hours.
• Interns will be certified in CPR and First Aid; certification opportunity will be provided if applicant is not already certified.
• Interns should be a positive and enthusiastic team member throughout the duration of the internship.
• Interns will be integrated into the weekend farm chore schedule during the fall, which includes one weekend day each month of helping feed animals, care for plants, and other daily farm tasks.
Desired Skills: applicants must be 21 or older
• Responsible and reliable
• Works well independently and in a team setting
• Demonstrates a strong work ethic and enthusiasm for the YGP mission
• Interest in experiential education and a desire to work with youth
• Problem solver who is flexible and able to improvise
• Has an open mind and willingness to be involved with YGP beyond its youth programs working either hands-on in the garden or at special events.
Please e-mail a brief cover letter and an attached resume with three professional references to Youth Programs Director, Erin Vick, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application is open until filled.