Executive Director Job Announcement
The Ecological Farming Association (EcoFarm) is pleased to announce an exciting opportunity for you to join our vibrant team as its next Executive Director. We seek a dynamic and
passionate individual to lead our organization in its next phase of growth and development by building upon our successes, deepening our programs, and broadening our networks of
EcoFarm is a 39 year-old public interest organization based in Soquel, CA in Santa Cruz County. Its mission is to nurture healthy, just, and ecologically sustainable farms, food systems, and communities by bringing people together for education, alliance building, advocacy, and celebration. We are committed to enhancing diversity at our conference and in our programs
EcoFarm boasts a rich history of organizing educational events, tackling critical issues of concern to farmers and the wider organic and ecological agriculture community. Our annual
flagship event, the EcoFarm Conference, brings together an estimated 1,800 people from across the US and abroad to learn, network, collaborate, be inspired, and recharge. Known for its
fabulous farm tours, abundance of stimulating workshops, art, and celebration, the Conference is the oldest and largest organic and sustainable agriculture gathering in the Western US.
Our ideal candidate is a seasoned leader and an idea-generator with a demonstrated track record of success leveraging the requisite skills and experience in organizational and financial
management, fundraising and strategic planning. The candidate must be enthusiastic about advancing organic and sustainable agriculture and food systems and be an effective
communicator with a proven ability to facilitate conversations and consensus among a broad range of stakeholders. The Executive Director will work in partnership with the Board of
Directors, the staff, and community leaders to maintain the organization’s fiscal health and to ensure that its programs, communication, and policy advocacy continue to meet the needs of the wider EcoFarm community.
Candidates must possess many, if not all, of the following:
- Commitment to EcoFarm’s mission and core values of facilitating diversity, equity and inclusion
- Three to five years of management experience with a nonprofit or advocacy organization of comparable size and scope
- Leadership experience in an organization with a focus on organic and ecological agriculture and familiarity with the history of the organic farming movement preferred
- Practical experience in overseeing the financial health of significant programs and/or similar institutions, including compliance with government policies and regulations
- Experience working in close partnership with an active Board of Directors, committed staff, and community of volunteers
- Demonstrated experience or evident capability to plan and carry out large events, conferences and/or fundraising initiatives
- Proven history in revenue generation through the solicitation of government, academic, corporate and/or foundation grants, sponsorships and individual donors
- Skillful in public speaking, writing, meeting facilitation, networking and consensus building
- Experience with managing the development and implementation of strategic communications including marketing/branding, social media and utilizing archival content for online educational opportunities
- Ability to attract, develop, lead and retain talented staff
- A deep understanding of policies and practices that pertain to organic, ecological agriculture and the organic food industry
- Experience as a social justice and policy advocate is a plus
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field (agriculture, environment, political science, sociology, social policy)
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required during the conference season and to occasionally work in outdoor agricultural environments with exposure to heat, cold, dirt, dust, and moderate equipment noise
The selected candidate can expect to receive a negotiated executive salary based upon the established pay scales of organizations of comparable size and scope to EcoFarm.
Full time, exempt position; compensation includes vacation and medical benefits.
Location: EcoFarm, Soquel, CA. Office in Santa Cruz County
Travel requirement: 10-15% of time
Equal Opportunity Employer
EcoFarm does not discriminate against any job applicant with respect to race, color, religion, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability or
Please send Resume, cover letter and writing sample to : EDsearch@eco-farm.org
Program Internship Opening
EcoFarm is offering an opportunity for a Program Intern to assist in the planning and organizing of the 40th annual Ecological Farming Conference, January 22 - 25, 2020. The ideal candidate will be able to juggle multiple projects at once and to meet high standards of accuracy and timeliness. EcoFarm Conference is the oldest and largest agricultural event in the West, and this position will have a hand the conference planning and take leadership on aspects of the conference production. EcoFarm is dedicated to providing the Program Intern with the support and oversight necessary to make the internship a valuable opportunity to acquire experience and training.
This is not a paid position. Hours are flexible, but preference will be given to someone who can commit to 10-18 hours per week.
- Work with EcoFarm staff to plan, promote, and administer the EcoFarm Conference programs including:
- Assisting in coordination of the EcoFarm Scholarship Program.
- Supporting the Program Coordinator in organizing speakers, workshops, and events.
- Working with the Communications team in editing documents for online and print media.
- Helping EcoFarm staff in management of all necessary details of the conference production schedule.
- Self-starter with demonstrated follow-through.
- Detail-oriented, especially with multiple streams of data.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Able to take direction from multiple staff members.
- Produce high quality work in a deadline-driven environment.
- Experience with CiviCRM, Google Docs, Google Spreadsheets, Google Drive and other applications.
- Mac computer experience.
- Database experience and IT knowledge a plus.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
The ideal candidate will also:
- Attend and assist staff at the 40th annual EcoFarm Conference, from January 22 - 25, 2020 at the Asilomar Conference Grounds in Pacific Grove, CA.
- Have an interest in and commitment to EcoFarm’s mission in ecological agriculture.
This position reports to the Program Manager, works with all members of the EcoFarm team as needed, and is supervised by the Executive Director. To apply for this position please send a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Ecological Farming Association (EcoFarm) is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Our policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.