Executive Director, Job Announcement
The Ecological Farming Association (EcoFarm) is pleased to announce an exciting opportunity to join our vibrant team as its next Executive Director. We seek a skilled, dynamic and passionate individual to lead our organization in its next phase of growth and development, by building upon our successes, deepening our programs, and broadening our networks of collaboration.
Our ideal candidate is a seasoned leader and an ideas-generator with a demonstrated track record of success leveraging their skills and experience in strategic planning, fundraising and organizational and financial management. She/he must be enthusiastic about advancing, organic and sustainable agriculture and food systems and an effective communicator with a proven ability to facilitate conversations and consensus among broad range of stakeholders. The Executive Director will work in partnership with an engaged Board, a committed staff, and community leaders to maintain the organization’s fiscal health and to ensure that its programs, communication, and policy advocacy continue to meet the needs of the EcoFarm community.
Candidates must possess many, if not all, of the following:
- Commitment to and understanding of EcoFarm’s mission and core values
- 5+ years of successful senior management experience with a nonprofit or policy organization of comparable size and scope. Experience leading organizations with a focus on organic and ecological agriculture, preferred
- Demonstrated ability to ensure the financial sustainability of an organization of comparable size ($1. 3M), including the oversight of policies and systems that support financial control and effectiveness
- Experience working in close partnership with an active Board of Director, staff, and community volunteer to chart and implement a strategic, organizational roadmap
- Demonstrated experience in planning and producing conferences and/or large events
- Proven track record in revenue generation including soliciting corporate and foundation grants, sponsorships, individual donations and other creative fund-raising initiatives. Experience in working with major donors and producing fundraising events
- Strategic communication skills, including public speaking, writing, meeting facilitation, and consensus building
- Ability to effectively and credibly represent EcoFarm and its stakeholders among diverse audiences and to build long-lasting external relationships that further the organization’s mission
- Experience with managing the development and implementation strategic communications plan that includes public relations and marketing/branding strategies as well as utilizing existing content to provide online educational opportunities
- Ability to attract, develop, and retain talented staff and effectively utilize their talents
- Experience with, or an understanding of, the policy and practice issues and trends in the organic & ecological agriculture industry
- Knowledge of and experience in social justice issues and policy advocacy a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in business or agriculture. Advanced degree and/or experience preferred
In addition, candidates will need to:
- Effectively use information technology, including Microsoft Office Suite, Google and database applications, and the Internet
- Be comfortable working in an office environment, as well as in conferences and outdoor agricultural environments with exposure to heat, cold, dirt, dust, and moderate equipment noise
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as necessary
EcoFarm is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Annual salary: $70,000 -- $80,000 DOE + medical and dental
Full time, exempt position
Location: EcoFarm Soquel, CA office
Travel requirement: 10-15% of time
Please apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume and 3-5 references with your application to EDSearch@eco-farm.org . The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Program Internship Opening
EcoFarm is offering an opportunity for a Program Intern to assist in the planning and organizing of the 36th annual Ecological Farming Conference, January 25 - 28, 2017. The ideal candidate will be able to juggle multiple projects at once and to meet high standards of accuracy and timeliness. EcoFarm Conference is the oldest and largest agricultural event in the West, and this position will have a hand the conference planning and take leadership on aspects of the conference production. EcoFarm is dedicated to providing the Program Intern with the support and oversight necessary to make the internship a valuable opportunity to acquire experience and training.
This is not a paid position. Hours are flexible, but preference will be given to someone who can commit to 10-18 hours per week.
- Work with EcoFarm staff to plan, promote, and administer the EcoFarm Conference programs including:
- Assisting in coordination of the EcoFarm Scholarship & Fellowship Program.
- Supporting the Program Coordinator in organizing speakers, workshops, and events.
- Working with the Communications team in editing documents for online and print media.
- Helping EcoFarm staff in management of all necessary details of the conference production schedule.
- Self-starter with demonstrated follow-through.
- Detail-oriented, especially with multiple streams of data.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Able to take direction from multiple staff members.
- Produce high quality work in a deadline-driven environment.
- Experience with Google Docs, Google Spreadsheets, Google Drive and other applications.
- Mac computer experience.
- Database experience and IT knowledge a plus.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
The ideal candidate will also:
- Attend and assist staff at the 37th annual EcoFarm Conference, from January 25 - 28, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Grounds in Pacific Grove, CA.
- Have an interest in and commitment to EcoFarm’s mission in ecological agriculture.
This position reports to the Program Coordinator, works with all members of the EcoFarm team as needed, and is supervised by the Executive Director. To apply for this position please send a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three references to email@example.com.
The Ecological Farming Association nurtures healthy and just farms, food systems, communities and environment by bringing people together for education, alliance building and advocacy. To learn more visit our website at www.eco-farm.org
The Ecological Farming Association is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Our policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.