Greenmoore Gardens is a Certified Organic farm located outside of State College, Pennsylvania. We grow for a CSA with up to 150 members, attend local farmer’s markets, engage in direct-marketing to local chefs and restaurants. Currently Greenmoore Gardens has 10 acres in production, including high tunnels and greenhouses with potential for up to 60 acres.
There is potential for many projects to be in the works, including an on-site kids camp and garden, kitchen events, collaboration with local schools and institutions, and future expansion of production to include acreage under commercial high tunnels to enable year-round production.
We are looking for an experienced resident Farm Manager to oversee and implement daily agricultural activities at Greenmoore Gardens. Duties include hiring and managing farm crew (including work traders, volunteers, and interns), crop planning, crop planting, crop maintenance, harvest, and post-harvest processing. The Farm Manager must be creative and efficient, and able to balance both production and finance schedules and deadlines. A successful candidate will have experience with medium-to-large scale production, and be able to contribute ideas on how to expand, grow, and diversify our operation.
• Safely operate and provide basic maintenance of a variety of tractors, implements, and farm vehicles
• Set up and operate irrigation systems
• Determine seeding and transplant needs based on desired yield
• Estimate yield of crops ready for harvest
• Communicate yield & harvest date estimates to Administrators and Owners
• Manage weeds mechanically and by hand
• Manage 4-15 production crewmembers, interns and volunteers
• Maintain planting, production & harvest records in MS Word and/or MS Excel and or GoogleDocs
• Communicate throughout the workday with team via cell phone and text message
• Understand and follow certified organic production guidelines
• Must be physically capable of working long days, lifting 40+ lbs, and doing both often
• Must be a proven and confident leader with excellent communication skills and a positive attitude
This is a full time permanent position with expectations of 50+hrs/week, with some weekend work during the planting and growing season. Winter months are less intensive.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Basic on-site housing included. Profit sharing for the season will be based on mutually agreed upon production and sales goals and maintaining expense budget goals.
• Experience working on a diversified CSA farm highly desired